PDA

View Full Version : Hello Autopia (with a few questions)

JoshMcg
05-13-2009, 03:03 PM
I recently bought a 2002 Infinit G20, and it has some swirl marks that I would like to take care of. I did some searching and contemplated using scratchx by hand on the whole car, and then decided that I should just buy a machine. I have decided on the meguiars g110, and I like the bundle that it comes with on ADS. For $150 you the following:

- Meguiar`s G110 Polisher with 1-year factory warranty

- One Meguiar`s W67DA Velcro backing plate

- One Meguiar`s W8207 Foam Polishing Pad

- 3-Pack of Meguiar`s Supreme Shine Microfiber Towels

- One FREE Meguiar`s Duffle Bag!

- One FREE Meguiar`s M20512 Ultra Finishing Polish!

Here are my questions:

1) I have read (and seen many pictures) of the M205 removing swirls beautifully. Do you think the M205 with the W8207 polishing pad that comes with the G110 is abrasive enough to remove swirl marks? I don`t mind spending a little more time if it saves me from using something more abrasive. If not, what pads should I get? Should I get extra pads? Should I get a finishing pad for a second pass on the car with the M205?

2) I clayed the car about a month ago, but it was my first time every claying. Do you think I should do it again before swirl removal/polishing?

3) I have a lot of experience waxing cars, but I never did much more than that. Should I just top this off with Meguiars NXT 2.0 wax like I usually use or should I spring for some kind of sealant? If I should get a sealant can you recommend something that I can purchase from ADS? I would like to buy everything at one place. If I should use a sealant should I put it on by hand? If not, what pads should I use?

4) I don`t think I can use 4" pads with the standard backing plate on a G110. I was hoping to do this to save a bit of money while trying out pads, and to get into the narrow areas better. Am I going to have trouble getting into the "grooves" with a 6.5" pad?

5) I also plan on adding to my order 3 more meguiars microfiber towels (for wax removal) and getting the $10 12-pack of ADS brand microfibers for polish removal. Sound good?

Whew, that is a lot. I have searched and searched, and everyone has a slightly different situation/opinion, so I figured I better ask. Basically, I just want to make sure I have everything covered so I can make one order and have everything I need. Also, I prefer to order from one place (ADS seems to have the best package deal on the G110).

Thanks a lot to anyone who has read this far :2thumbs:

JoshMcg
05-14-2009, 11:06 AM
I have done quite a bit more research, and looked at many pictures, and I am fairly certain m205 with a meguiars yellow polishing pad will have enough bite for me. If it doesn`t, I figure I can pick up some swirl x locally. I think I have decided on 6" pads for now as well. So here is my plan:

The G110 cheap bundle:

- Meguiar`s G110 Polisher with 1-year factory warranty

- One Meguiar`s W67DA Velcro backing plate

- One Meguiar`s W8207 Foam Polishing Pad (I am going to buy 1 more of these, in case I need to step up to a stronger polish)

- 3-Pack of Meguiar`s Supreme Shine Microfiber Towels (I am purchasing 3 more of these. I plan to use them for wax removal.)

- One FREE Meguiar`s Duffle Bag!

- One FREE Meguiar`s M20512 Ultra Finishing Polish!

12 Pack ADS microfiber towels (for polish removal)

1 Meguiars 6.5" finishing pad (Tan)

I will then top it off with Meguiars NXT 2.0 wax.

Anybody see any problems with this?