PDA

View Full Version : Best Hand-Applied Wax (literally using my hands)

Pages : [1] 2

dmw16
05-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Someone suggested that when I wax my new bike that I apply the wax using my hands. I had typically used P21S on my cars, but I am wondering if there are waxes you guys suggest specifically for hand application?

Thanks.

akimel
05-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Check out the Red and Yellow Victoria Waxes (http://victoriawax.com/cart.php?target=category&category_id=60).

dmw16
05-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks. Since the bike is brand new, then maybe I should go w/ the yellow.

The instructions on the site are very confusing. So I let dry, then buff, then buff again before I apply the next coat?

eyezack87
05-12-2009, 04:59 PM
RubbishBoys Original Edition from Ben is perfect for hand application ;)

Scottwax
05-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Personally, I have no desire to wax using my hands. Meguiars 4" foam hand pads are so nice to use anyway.

JohnZ3MC
05-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Dodo Juice Supernatural allows hand applications. It contains no harmful solvents.

-John C.

Barry Theal
05-12-2009, 05:18 PM
my hands dry out so much it would be hard to apply any way by hand! i would almost think this would induce marring. i seen paul daulton do it, but ill let it at that!

AeroCleanse
05-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Someone suggested that when I wax my new bike that I apply the wax using my hands. I had typically used P21S on my cars, but I am wondering if there are waxes you guys suggest specifically for hand application?

Thanks.

You could try Swissvax

loudog2
05-12-2009, 05:28 PM
I would think you`d waste a lot of it. With stuff like RBOE or other products, if you don`t get that thin coat. It is a pain in the a** to remove.

imported_Bence
05-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks. Since the bike is brand new, then maybe I should go w/ the yellow.

The instructions on the site are very confusing. So I let dry, then buff, then buff again before I apply the next coat?

The Victorias are perfect (in fact, intended for) hand application. The instructions may be confusing for a wax newbie but we`ll try to set things straight, OK?

Hand application is an old fashioned way to apply waxes. The warmth of the palms helps to melt the wax and make it more workable, spreadable. Victoria`s formulas contain only cosmetic grade ingredients, so it`s perfectly safe to apply them with bare hands. They are perfectly suitable for applicators, or even machine application, but there is a certain *noble style* in the bare hand application.

To do that perfectly, take out a pea sized amount of wax from the jar. Use one of your fingernails to scrape the wax out. Don`t make a hook and pull your finger towards you, because the wax will stick under your nail. Use the top of the nail, pushing your finger away from you and scrape like that.

Melt the wax between your palms by rubbing them together quickly, and when you palms are covered with wax evenly you can start to massage the body panel. The skin will pull a nice layer of wax over the surface. If the wax has good spreadability, the coat will be ````geneous, but later as you skin runs out of wax, the application can become uneven. Go over the same area a couple of times to ensure proper coverage. It`s a strange, but very satisfying tactile experience. You`ll discover many unknown arcs, tiny edges, funny details on your car. You can cover half a panel, or even an entire panel with one little load of wax, but everything depends on the temperature (ambient & panel), humidity, and your personal skill. You`ll see how much time do you need to cover a panel with a thin, even layer of wax. 1-2 minutes is a good target.

Then you have to leave the wax to set, before removal. The Victorias have relatively short setting times (2-3 minutes for Concours, 4-5 minutes for the oilier Collectors). Then grab a thinner MF towel, and start to remove the wax with slow, steady motions. If your application was nice and thin the MF won`t get saturated quickly. Flip the towel to expose a clean side after 2-3 panels. After removal, go over the car with chilled QD and you`re done.

So, once again, hand application is not a must, it`s just a style. All waxes can be applied with applicators, DA machines, etc. But there is a certain flavor doing it this way. Hope that helped. :)

GoudyL
05-12-2009, 07:25 PM
The whole hand application schtick is a bit of marketing puffery, combined with user foolishness. An affront to human reason, and embarrasment to everyone involved.

imported_Bence
05-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Extremely wise contribution, bravo.

Mobilejay
05-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Another wax you could use is Zymol Concours. I have it and use it quite often. It can be a PITA to apply to a big car, hell even a small car can take a while. I like doing it because its kind of a relaxing thing for me. A car with nice curves is like massaging a beautiful woman LOL. I know it sounds crazy but it is nice. I haven`t used any of the ones mentioned but I want to try Dodo`s products. Good luck and enjoy.

dmw16
05-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

The bike doesn`t have too much surface area so the slower nature of a hand method shouldn`t be too bad.

I thought the hand thing seemed like a gimmick, but someone who`s opinion I value suggested it for my bike, so I figured I`d give it a go.

I will post up after I`ve waxed it.

JohnZ3MC
05-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Dodo Supernatural comes in a little sampler tub, 30 ml for 30 bucks. You could get maybe 100 or more applications for your bike. It`d be a great way to try a $200 wax.

With Poorboys Black Hole underneath, it sure looks good on red.