PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Hard Paint

DRT
05-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Hi all, i`m a bit of a newbie to detailing, but really enjoy it. I`m also fairly new to this site. I`m always trying to learn more. Anyway, I have a 98 trans am that is white. I bought it used about a year ago and its in very good condition, it just had a ton of swirls and some rids. I got a g110 a while back and decided to tackle the car. First I tried m80 on a megs polishing pad and it pretty much did nothing. Then i tried m83 and it was showing some improvement, but not to my satisfaction. I then tried swirl-x with a polishing pad and it still didnt make much difference. I then used some megs uc with a polishing pad and it was a big improvement over anything else i tried, but there are still some swirls that I cant seem to get out. Any suggestions? Is all gm paint considered to be on the hard side? I know i`ve heard horror stories about corvette paint. Thanks

VForce
05-12-2009, 11:45 AM
I`m pretty new at this myself but let me give it a shot from what I picked up along the way.

You may want to try a cutting pad. This will give you more cut and allow the products you have tried to do more. You may also want to try M105 followed up with M205. This should do a pretty good job.

M105 is a pretty decent cutting product and with different pads, different levels of cut.

Accumulator
05-12-2009, 11:58 AM
DRT- Welcome to Autopia!

Yeah, GM clear of that vintage is usually pretty hard. I`d get some 4" orange pads and use those with the Ultimate Compound (or even M105). Follow up with the #80 and things should look better.

IMO it just takes the little 4" pads to do serious correction on harder clear, big improvement over the larger pads, and the orange light-cut pads seem well-matched to more aggressive products.