PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Brown Method Question

Pages : [1] 2

eddie926
05-12-2009, 10:38 AM
I`ve been on the verge of stepping up from the PC to a Makita rotary or at the very least to the Flex, but then started reading all the press on the Kevin Brown Method, and am now wondering if I really need/want to do that.

What`s the general consensus among the people that have used KBM? Is the PC all you really need, or do you recommend still getting/learning rotary or getting the Flex?

I`ve gone into a holding pattern until Kevin`s paper comes out so I can try it before I decide to drop $$ on another machine(s), but I`m wondering what everyone else thinks.

Thanks!

dublifecrisis
05-12-2009, 10:45 AM
I`m a PC user who does eventually want to do the same thing as you. If I had the cash or had a business that would be better off making the move then I wouldn`t let the KB thing stop you from making the purchase.

ricka
05-12-2009, 10:53 AM
had been a pc user with okay results on audi paint. very time consuming and the pc would get pretty hot. could only use 4" pads for any real correction. stepped up to a makita via a great price from a fellow autopian and love it. very easy to use. i also like that you have to keep it moving to prevent paint burn (like 4 inches per second vs. 1 inch every 2 sec or so with the pc) so the application and use is better for me. kinda like flyfishing vs just dropping some bait in the water--boring.

still use the pc for tight spaces, plastic bumpers, cleaning carpets and applying sealants but that`s it. the makita is now my go-to polisher.

Accumulator
05-12-2009, 12:01 PM
I`d get the Flex. I *did* get the Flex...well worth the $ IMO and I haven`t touched my rotaries since.

KnuckleBuckett
05-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Go Flex. To this day I consider my PC mostly wasted $$. I have been perfectly happy with my Flex. It is far better at correcting issues than my PC and still has the advantage that causing damage is pretty difficult.

gmblack3
05-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Have used the KBM on at least 10 vehicles. I have not picked up either one of my 2 totaries except to spin dry pads.

I had a flex for about 2 months when I first started using the KBM. After using both the flex and PC, I sold the flex.

eddie926
05-12-2009, 12:35 PM
:)
Have used the KBM on at least 10 vehicles. I have not picked up either one of my 2 totaries except to spin dry pads.

I had a flex for about 2 months when I first started using the KBM. After using both the flex and PC, I sold the flex.

Thanks for that input.

Since you`ve done several vehicles with the KBM...

One issue with the PC in the past has always been how slow it is to do an entire vehicle.

Does that issue go away using the KBM? i.e., maybe the PC passes don`t go incredibly faster, but you don`t spend any time chasing down holograms/buffer trails, so overall it`s faster?

I know, I should just wait for KB`s paper. I`m just getting antsey cause we`re in the heart of detailing season and I`m anxious to find out more and get to trying it :bolt Especially if it means I really don`t need to spring for a flex/rotary right now.

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for everyone else`s inputs too. I didn`t mean to make it sound like I didn`t appreciate those :)

imported_RZJZA80
05-12-2009, 12:39 PM
I tried the KBM and it didn`t work very well for me. I might have done something wrong, but I doubt it. Also, with the KBM, you just about rattle all the fillings out of your mouth and your hands feel like jello for a while.

imported_Ivan Rajic
05-12-2009, 12:58 PM
After using both the flex and PC, I sold the flex.

Why?

OP the PC can be the one machine to have, but the issue becomes time... rotary is the fastest (you might save time if you can`t finish down with rotary, turning it into a 2-step instead of 1-step job, but anything else it`s no comparison), Flex is 2nd and PC 3rd... it`s all preference in the end so try renting or borrowing the machines from someone local and see how you like each.

KnuckleBuckett
05-12-2009, 01:14 PM
I love my Flex, but would be the very first to admit that a rotary is a step up. I have seen enough to know they are faster and far more versatile in the hands of a skilled detailer. That said, I am not yet at that skill level. I do plan to start working with a rotary this summer, but am in no hurry. The Flex has kept me very happy.

The PC vibrated me to death. Numbed my wrists and fingers and required a great deal of effort in comparison to the Flex.

I agree. Level of work and time versus results; PC (or similar), then Flex, and finally rotary.

I do not believe that anyone should even try a PC if they can afford a Flex. Just my opinion.

imported_Ivan Rajic
05-12-2009, 01:54 PM
I love my Flex, but would be the very first to admit that a rotary is a step up. I have seen enough to know they are faster and far more versatile in the hands of a skilled detailer. That said, I am not yet at that skill level. I do plan to start working with a rotary this summer, but am in no hurry. The Flex has kept me very happy.

The PC vibrated me to death. Numbed my wrists and fingers and required a great deal of effort in comparison to the Flex.

I agree. Level of work and time versus results; PC (or similar), then Flex, and finally rotary.

I do not believe that anyone should even try a PC if they can afford a Flex. Just my opinion.

I agree as well... if price isn`t an issue, I really can`t see why someone would choose a PC/G110 over a Flex... it takes longer to do the same amount of work, it vibrates like crazy and it can`t handle pressure very well... I have a G110 for the simple reason that I can`t stand the rotation of the Flex... any way of `fixing` that btw so it goes clockwise?

gmblack3
05-13-2009, 01:32 PM
I agree as well... if price isn`t an issue, I really can`t see why someone would choose a PC/G110 over a Flex... it takes longer to do the same amount of work, it vibrates like crazy and it can`t handle pressure very well... I have a G110 for the simple reason that I can`t stand the rotation of the Flex... any way of `fixing` that btw so it goes clockwise?

The pressure required to properly polish via the KBM is where I did not like the flex at all. The flex is harder to "handle" when applying pressure then the PC is and IME the results where too close to justify the $280 vs $120 price point.

My PC is 4 years old. It got a good year of use and now over the last 6 months, I have been applying pressure and its still fine. When I sold the flex, I did buy another PC as a backup and have yet to use it.

imported_FJF
05-13-2009, 02:29 PM
I have a PC, a Flex, and a rotary. I use the PC with 4" pads in tight spaces and with larger pads for applying LSPs. The Flex is used for polishing and paint correction. On relatively hard paint, it does the job ~3-4 times faster than the PC, at least in my hands. The rotary hardly gets any use at all.

imported_Ivan Rajic
05-13-2009, 03:08 PM
The pressure required to properly polish via the KBM is where I did not like the flex at all. The flex is harder to "handle" when applying pressure then the PC is and IME the results where too close to justify the $280 vs $120 price point.

My PC is 4 years old. It got a good year of use and now over the last 6 months, I have been applying pressure and its still fine. When I sold the flex, I did buy another PC as a backup and have yet to use it.

That`s true as I know exactly what you`re talking about in that the Flex makes it harder than both the rotary and the PC to apply pressure... but at the same time, the Flex doesn`t require the `KBM` to get the same results. I guess in the end it`s user preference but the vibration is the main reason I hate the PC/G110

oski83
05-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Id be really interested in seeing if someone can make a short video clip of the KBM on the PC & Flex...vids sometimes clear up so many questions/concerns