PDA

View Full Version : do I need a more agressive pad?

Pages : [1] 2

gofastman
05-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Im trying to fix up my new to me beater, 97 Grand Am with severe oxidation and swirls, I was using OP 2 and a LC orange pad with a rotary, not much luck, I steped up to a LC purple wool pad and Meg`s #94. I was able to get the paint much better but I didnt remove all the swirls, I was unsure if these were uncorected marks or if I had put in a few with the #94 and the wool pad. Im wondering if I should keep going at it with the wool pad and #94, Is my aproach not agressive enough or does my technique need fixing? how clear/clean will the #94 and wool pad finish?

Darkstar752
05-11-2009, 06:04 PM
You need to step it down after the wool pad.

gofastman
05-11-2009, 06:05 PM
to what exactly? OP 2 and a LC white pad didnt do a whole lot, would an orange pad give better results?

Derek173
05-11-2009, 06:56 PM
to what exactly? OP 2 and a LC white pad didnt do a whole lot, would an orange pad give better results?

1.Wool

2.Orange

3.white

KnuckleBuckett
05-12-2009, 06:19 AM
It is possible that the wool and or orange pad could be causing the issue if you have minor issues in the first place (especially with softer paints).

Or am I wrong about this?

wannafbody
05-12-2009, 08:02 AM
Orange pad and Megs 105 or Ultimate compound.

gofastman
05-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Orange pad and Megs 105 or Ultimate compound.

The most agressive compound I have is #94, I would like to stay away from getting Meguiars stuff if possible, I think its hard as hell to use and doesnt give the best results.

1.Wool

2.Orange

3.white

I know this may not be a true autopian question, but do I really have to go over the car 3 times? it takes me like 5 hours each time! :bawling:

Alex Boyce
05-12-2009, 04:15 PM
The most agressive compound I have is #94, I would like to stay away from getting Meguiars stuff if possible, I think its hard as hell to use and doesnt give the best results.

????????? Have you read any of the threads on M105? To me its the fastest most effective compound/polish around. Many people can finish down to near LSP ready, with M105.

If your stuck on the train leading you away from Megs then I`d say look into some other compounds from other company`s such as: Menzerna, 3M, or something else from Optimum

wannafbody
05-12-2009, 05:32 PM

I know this may not be a true autopian question, but do I really have to go over the car 3 times? it takes me like 5 hours each time! :bawling:

If you don`t want good product suggestions then don`t ask for product suggestions. M105/ Ultimate compound are cutting edge latest technology and save you some serious time.

craigdt
05-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Blasphemy! Heresy! you dont want to use 105? that cant be right... :hm

But really, you need to try it. It flat out works and will put that #94 you are using to shame.

SuperBee364
05-12-2009, 06:19 PM

That is truly an Autopian question, followed by a truly Autopian statement; five hours each time is definitely Autopian. Maybe even a bit on the fast side. ;)

I hate to keep singing the praises of Megs M105 and M205, but it really sounds like a good match for you. If you are using a DA (like a PC, UDM, etc) these two products are the ticket for the vast majority of paints when used with a PC. M105 with an orange foam pad is more than likely to correct all but the most severe defects. Following the M105 with M205 on a zero bite foam pad (LC red, blue, grey, or black) will then remove whatever compounding marks the M105 left behind, and leave you with a very nice finish. Just make sure you read and follow the instructions on the bottles to the T.

Best of luck, and show us some pictures when you`re done!

GoudyL
05-12-2009, 11:04 PM
You`ve probably tortured the finish long enough with harsh compounds.

At this point, I`d try applying a layer of arnauba cleaner wax and seeing how it looks. You could even apply it with the white pad for a little polishing action. :)

Alex Boyce
05-13-2009, 07:39 AM
I would assume if hes going through with 94 on PFW hes gonna want something with more cut than cleaner wax, to clean up any marring.

gofastman
05-17-2009, 04:42 PM
:woohoo: a LC orange pad, OP II, and alot of elbow grease got almost all the swirls out! should my next move be to use more OP II and a LC white pad or should/can I move to Poli-Seal on a white pad? I think Ill be using NXT 2.0 as my LSP.

bwalker25
05-17-2009, 06:32 PM
I would go with OPII and White followed by NXT on blue...

that is of course if you want the rest of the swirls out....