PDA

View Full Version : Is oxidation of rubber the same as oxidation of plastic

pingable
05-11-2009, 05:18 PM
just putting my thinking cap on tonight. I was thinking about the dressings I use on faded trim and that`s just it -- I am continually *dressing* them. Black Wow for textured trim and Autoglym Bumper Care on smooth dressing. More or less, I don`t expect alot on longevity unless it`s a garage queen, but that has been my experience sofar, regardless of how well I prep the trim. Prepsol, ISO, steam clean, u name it -- the trim is as clean as it gets prior to dressing.

So to analogize, with headlights, in which I have seen 2fold -- mine, which all are PPF`ed and a friends, who has had them clearcoated. The headlights don`t haze over time as opposed to traditional headlights. I assume it`s due to how the exposed layer is protected from the elements. As well, with hazy headlights, a little sandpaper, polish and viola, we have clear headlights. Essentially what we doing is removing/burnishing the top layer of the oxidation off...

Work with me here......as I`m just spouthing words off the top of my head....

If I had a piece of smooth plastic trim, and did 3K pr 2.5K sand....would I be revealing a non oxidized piece of rubber OR is the top of a finished rubber trim *finished* - meaning the sanded later underneath would not be *finished rubber*. Would that layer be black be more black and stay more black until it`s oxidized...

Just blurbing away tonight as I think of pieces of trim that I am ever so tired of dressing....

8Banger
05-11-2009, 07:13 PM
i think it`s case-by-case. are you talking smooth plastic like you see on nissan SUVs or, are you talking about rubber trim, like at the base of mustang windows?

GoudyL
05-11-2009, 07:22 PM
just putting my thinking cap on tonight. I was thinking about the dressings I use on faded trim and that`s just it -- I am continually *dressing* them.

No, tires are porous (The basic physical chemistry is that of insoluble particles (=carbon black) being trapped in a gummy matrix) vs plastic trim which consists of a completely solid matrix.

Try putting some TW Ice liquid on your plastic trim.

pingable
05-11-2009, 07:59 PM
brain fart. I meant plastic trim vs. plastic headlights housings...

while it`s obvious we can`t/should sand plastic trim down as opposed how we clear up headlights....I was trying to analogize that if we did sand down trim, would it expose more blacker plastic only waiting to get oxidized. Or maybe I`m just off tanget or misphrasing this very wrongly....

pingable
05-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Curiosity is going to make me buy 2 pieces of OEM trim....and have my shop spray a layer of matte clearcoat on one of the trims. Leaving it out on the blazing sun.

Too bad there was no way of doing accelerate testing unless anyone have any ideas..

Legacy
05-11-2009, 08:25 PM
brain fart. I meant plastic trim vs. plastic headlights housings...

while it`s obvious we can`t/should sand plastic trim down as opposed how we clear up headlights....I was trying to analogize that if we did sand down trim, would it expose more blacker plastic only waiting to get oxidized. Or maybe I`m just off tanget or misphrasing this very wrongly....

Sanding down black plastic trim will not revel fresh plastic.