PDA

View Full Version : Paint Cleaner

jimlenz
05-10-2009, 05:19 PM
I have a 09 acura tl and am going to wash, clay, polisy and wax. I am using claymagic clay bar, menzerna sip and 106ff and then sauveran wax. Do I need a paint cleaner also? Is there something that goes in between the clay and the sip? If so, what should I use. I also have a 07 tahoe that I am going to do the same process for.

Thanks

Jim

GLuXuRy
05-10-2009, 05:23 PM
paint cleaner you use after you polish .. its a LSP prep

wash, clay, sip, 106ff, paint cleaner and finally sauveran wax

its not necessary .. but does help for LSP prep and durability

jimlenz
05-10-2009, 05:25 PM
paint cleaner you use after you polish .. its a LSP prep

wash, clay, sip, 106ff, paint cleaner and finally sauveran wax

its not necessary .. but does help for LSP prep and durability

What paint cleaner would you recommend? Does Menzerna have one? The only ones I have read about our zaino and meguiars. Any others out there taht would work for what I want.

Jim

shakashaunz
05-10-2009, 09:25 PM
I have tried dodo juice lime prime and the s100/p21s paint cleaner and like the s100. it adds a nice base for your lsp.

imported_detail1
06-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Pinnacle paint cleaner is very good- I have used it in the past.

Little expensive but excellent product

Dsoto87
06-27-2009, 08:20 PM
You dont need any paint cleaner. The only time I used a paint cleaner after polishing is if im going to use a sealant. I usually use KAIO or JW Prime. If your going to top it with a wax like souveran than the polishing oils will actually be beneficial to the looks.

AeroCleanse
06-27-2009, 08:25 PM
I have started using Lusso paint cleaner. I only use it if I am not doing a correction.

Thats Fresh
06-27-2009, 08:51 PM
What paint cleaner would you recommend? Does Menzerna have one? The only ones I have read about our zaino and meguiars. Any others out there taht would work for what I want.

Jim

Menzerna Top Inspection (http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=2468&url=detailedimage.com/Menzerna-M10/Top-Inspection-Spray-P216/500-ml-S1/)

i think the best and cheapest way to remove polishing oils and prep for LSP is another wash or IPA wipedown which consists of 50% rubbing alcohol and 50% water

Accumulator
06-28-2009, 10:14 AM
jimlenz- While it`s sorta the exact opposite of doing an IPA wipe/etc., I too like the Pinacle PCL before Souveran.

Be careful with the 106FF, make sure it`s not hiding something that might appear unexpectedly a few months down the road ;)

Heh heh, IMO (and I have a Yukon XL), that Tahoe is mighty big to do with something as short-lived as Souveran! It`d look nice though

akimel
06-28-2009, 10:34 AM
Be careful with the 106FF, make sure it`s not hiding something that might appear unexpectedly a few months down the road ;)

Haha! I think I`d be satisfied if I could hide my paint defects for a few months, such is my lack of polishing skills. :grinno:

steelwind101
06-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Ok hold on a few seconds!

Paintwork Cleaners and Paintwork CLEANSERS tend not to be the same thing!

Paintwork cleansers are mostly all around paintwork prep products, they often contain oils of some sort.

Paintwork cleaners such as Meguiars Step 1 or Mothers Phase 1 are just paintwork cleaners, no oils, no fillers they just clean the paintworks pores and remove below the surface defects.

Most, but not all machine polishes contain a paintwork cleaner. Applying a paintwork cleaner to see if you have swirls seems a very long process to see if there are any swirls left. You could use an IPA wipe down or a product from Menzerna Top Inspection to remove any oils.

Its well worth noting that alot of the more modern polishes do not contain alot of oils. Not in comparsion to say Meguiars 80 or 83 as an example.

Waxes like Souveran are not going to have issues being applied straight after a Menzerna polish :2thumbs:

Geoff

akimel
06-29-2009, 06:00 AM
Ok hold on a few seconds!

Paintwork cleansers are mostly all around paintwork prep products, they often contain oils of some sort.

Paintwork cleaners such as Meguiars Step 1 or Mothers Phase 1 are just paintwork cleaners, no oils, no fillers they just clean the paintworks pores and remove below the surface defects.

Interesting observation, Geoff. I had not noticed before the difference between products labeled as "cleaners" and those labeled as "cleansers." Are you suggesting that a "cleanser" typically leaves something "behind" on the finish, perhaps glazing oils? would that mean that cleansers should not be used if one is intending to use a synthetic sealant as one`s LSP? From what I have read (I have not tried most of them), the following products would seem to support your suggestion:

Sonus Paintwork Cleanser

P21S Paintwork Cleanser

Pinnacle Paintwork Cleanser

Zymol HD-Cleanse

Victoria Lite Cleanse

Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite Pre-Wax Cleanser

And then there are cleansers that do not contain "cleanser" in their name:

Lusso Revitalizing Creme

Swissvax Cleaning Fluid

But what about Four Star Pre-Wax Cleanser? A sealant can be applied after this product. Is it the exception that proves the rule?

Are there any other "cleansers" that do not conform to the usage?

DM101
06-29-2009, 07:37 AM
The menzerna will clean the paint. The 106FF will leave behind oils. But your Souveran can go right on top of them. Should leave a awesome finish.

Accumulator
06-29-2009, 08:15 AM

Ah, the semantics of detailing...

That`s a good observation that I`d never picked up on; I just considered the use of "cleanser" instead of "cleaner" to be a marketing gimmick, a case of trying to sound high-brow when marketing products in/near the "boutique" range.