PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to do 100% on black, under a sungun/brinkman

efnfast
05-10-2009, 11:42 AM
(%s based on autopean standards of course =) )

Is it possible to make black look 100% corrected under a sungun and brinkman?

I`ve spent the last 20hrs on my black g35 (winter beater - ````load of salt and slush and rocks pound it, and I don`t bother washing it for 6mths in the winter, so it gets pretty bad!). Under 500watt hallogens, I`d give the finish 100%. In direct sunlight I`d give it 100%.

When going over every square inch with a sungun (which I admit I`m not too skilled using) it looks 100%. However, under the brinkman I`d have to downgrade myself to 85% - I have either a variety of tiny RIDs that poke up every so often, that, quite honestly, refuse to go away under the Brinkman, despite my best polishing efforts.

Obviously the most important question is how does it look under direct sunlight, since most people don`t carry their Brinkman`s around with them beaming every car they run into.

So what I`m curious is if you can get an absolute 100% correction on black under yours, or if it leaves you crying, despite the finish looking flawless in any other type of lighting?

AeroCleanse
05-10-2009, 11:58 AM
It must be possible as I`ve seen it. Look up any work by Paul Dalton.

efnfast
05-10-2009, 12:28 PM
It must be possible as I`ve seen it. Look up any work by Paul Dalton.

But have you seen his work in person, or just pictures and youtube videos - I can take hundreds of pics of my job and make it look 100% in photos by not covering every single square inch of the car. I`d be really curious to see a super pro`s work up close one day.

Accumulator
05-10-2009, 12:29 PM
[Disclaimer: I don`t have a Brinkman but my most demanding incandescent lighting shows flaws I can`t see under any other conditions.]

Clearcoat is clearcoat, the black just makes it easier to see defects. Other than RIDS that are too deep for safe removal, sure you can get (any) paint flawless if you`re using the right products and techniques. I could argue that a *metallic* black is actually harder because those tiny defects are even harder to spot (for the same reason, it`s probably more forgiving of imperfection most of the time).

Whether it`s worth doing or not is another matter. Life`s not a car show and as noted nobody`s creeping around parking lots inspecting your car with a Brinkman ;)

More of my Autopian Heresy- this sounds like another case of too much time spent at Autopia. After a while you can start to think that only a 100% perfect finish is acceptable and much as I sometimes like to get some of my vehicles as nice as possible, I think the whole idea is kinda goofy.

If you really enjoy getting your paint as perfect as possible, by all means have at it. But I`d think about it and ask myself why I care that much.

efnfast
05-10-2009, 12:31 PM
More of my Autopian Heresy- this sounds like another case of too much time spent at Autopia. After a while you can start to think that only a 100% perfect finish is acceptable and much as I sometimes like to get some of my vehicles as nice as possible, I think the whole idea is kinda goofy.

Absolutely, autopia (plus my obsessive compulsivness) has ruined me! :bawling:

I remember when I thought swirls were completely normal and fine, and that that was just a natural characteristic of paint. Man, those days were SO much simpler :chuckle:

AeroCleanse
05-10-2009, 12:34 PM
But have you seen his work in person, or just pictures and youtube videos - I can take hundreds of pics of my job and make it look 100% in photos by not covering every single square inch of the car. I`d be really curious to see a super pro`s work up close one day.

Just the HD videos on youtube. I`d love to see his work in person.

charlesaferg
05-10-2009, 12:44 PM
To be quite honest, I never noticed paint imperfections before I suddenly had an interest in detailing. I was awoken to it by who knows what.

Also, there`s hardly a chance that there isn`t at least one imperfection in the CC that cannot be removed from a used car/daily driver, whether it be the deepest part of a RIDS, etc. Those cars typically get in the high 90% correction range. Well, think about it, it`s still a used car, although most new cars are usually less than 70-80% anyway.

Accumulator
05-10-2009, 12:49 PM
But have you seen his work in person...

Note: I`m *NOT* saying *anybody`s* work isn`t 100%. I don`t want the following interpreted that way.

BUT...I can spend a *LOT* of time inspecting a vehicle I`m confident is perfect. And I`ll still spot something if I come back and inspect it again and again and again. Unless you`ve done the inspection yourself, under *your* conditions, you`re simply taking it on faith when anybody else tells you what shape it`s in.

And that gets me right back to my "how much do you care, and why?".

Absolutely, autopia (plus my obsessive compulsivness) has ruined me!

Seriously, there have been well-regarded people here who had (have?) a genuine problem in that regard. I`ve read posts like "I couldn`t sleep all last night because of the marring on my car..". Ask any psych major about "perfectionism" ;)

That`s what I mean to convey by my "practical perfectionist" tag...you gotta learn when to say "good enough" and get on with the rest of your life.

A few of the vehicles I had the most fun with weren`t even *close* to 90% marring-free and I sure don`t regret that I didn`t work harder to make them nicer.

LouisanaJeeper
05-10-2009, 03:28 PM
possible, yes

practical, no

Barry Theal
05-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Now i don`t have a brinkman, but yes it is possible to fully correct paint under a sun gun. actually what your talking about doing is very tuff and takes years of practice. a perfect finish is all in the prep. here below you can see where i was asked to correct this paint. the first picture is where i got the paint leveled by wetsanding. this removed any defect that could be seen. then there is a picture of the paint under a sungun this is just compound and polish!. here is proof you can correct paint perfectly under a sungun. next i showed you a pic of the same spot outside in the sun. good luck on your adventure! and remember always use ipa 91% to do a wipedown.

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr202/barrytheal/300m/DSCF3143.jpg

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr202/barrytheal/300m/DSCF3211.jpg

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr202/barrytheal/300m/DSCF3232.jpg