PDA

View Full Version : My first step into detailing

Pages : [1] 2

VForce
05-10-2009, 11:06 AM
So, based on the advice as well as post I have read on these forums, I took the plunge and invested in some nice detailing products.

My order is for:

1- Meguiar`s G110 Dual Action Polisher

1- Meguiar`s DA Backing W68DA

7- Meguiar`s Soft Buff 2.0 (1-Cut, 3-Polish, 3-Finish)

1- Meguiar`s Smooth Surface Clay Bar

1- M105

1- M205

1- M21

1- Meguiar`s Ultimate Quick Detailer

1- Meguiar`s NXT Generation Glass Cleaner

6- Meguiar`s Hi Tech Applicator Pad

12- Meguiar`s Supreme Shine Microfiber Towel

5- Meguiar`s Water Magnet Drying Towel

12- Buff & Shine Heavy Duty Microfiber Glass Towel

I ordered most from ADS but I also had an Amazon gift certificate so I bought some from Amazon too.

Do I have everything?

Saleenman607
05-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Looks good......what about buckets and grit guards? Brushes?

PerroneFord
05-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Well, I don`t know if you have everything, but you have everyting Meguairs makes!

Seriously, looks like you`re well on your way for your paint and glass. I don`t see much for taking care of the inside of the car, or the engine compartment. But no biggie. Take your time and learn. There`s plenty of places to spend your money.

What are you planning on using to wash the car? 2BM? Didn`t notice any grit guards or anything in your order. Make sure you take care of your basics.

VForce
05-10-2009, 01:09 PM
I already have two nice buckets, no grit guards yet though. As far as wash, was going to ue my Meguiar`s GC Car Wash until I ran out, then go to M62.

I have an older Meguiars Detail Brush and it does an ok job. Will invest in more when I expand my details beyond just my own 2 cars.

PerroneFord
05-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Please understand I mean no disrespect but do you have some ties to Meguiars? While they certainly make some exceptional products there are many excellent products out there, and it might do for you to sample some of them. If you have some specific reason for your choice, then just ignore what I`m saying.

VForce
05-10-2009, 02:19 PM
I have no reason other than their product line is easy to understand and while I have asked questions in some other posts, no one made it clear what else I should be looking at.

All I heard was Meguiar’s, Zaino and Menzerna. My issue with Zaino is am not down with the ZFX nor the layering. I do love it long lasting effect but the time is a killer and the look is only so so for me. As far as Menzerna, it’s pretty pricy and knowing it’s designed for the hard coats of MB, I was VERY reluctant to try it on my soft as hell Lexus paint. Didn’t want to end up with a polish I couldn’t use on my car.

If you or anybody has some suggestions, please let me know. While my order is already placed, I know I`ll want to experment more and play around. I guess you can say I felt my choices were a "sure thing" and while maybe not the best, I know I would be happy with them and get nice results.

PerroneFord
05-10-2009, 02:40 PM
I think you`ll find a growing following for products from the Optimum company. Specifically the ONR product. The product has so many uses it makes it a very smart buy with excellent performance. The opti-seal and poli-seal products are amazing as well.

There are vendors such as Poorboy`s World that make excellent products at fair prices. Companies like P21 that are world renown for particular specialty products (like their wheel cleaner)

There are many makers of excellent waxes out there. And other fine products.

Again, nothing at all with what you`ve chosen and i`m sure you`ll get great results with it.

VForce
05-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the info. I`ll have to check out some of the Optimum products.

Accumulator
05-10-2009, 04:36 PM
VForce- everyone has their faves and their also-rans, and there`s nothing wrong with Meguiar`s stuff.

You may very well find that you need to get more aggressive than your stuff will allow; to do significant correction via machines like that I always need 4" pads (yeah, even with M105). See how it goes.

The #62 is good shampoo, better than the Gold Class. I used it for years before switching to Griot`s. But I hear from reliable sources that Optimum`s shampoo (gee, another Optimum suggestion :eek: and I don`t even use their stuff!) is as good as the Griot`s while costing a lot less.

VForce
05-10-2009, 04:43 PM
You know, I have seen Griot`s around these forums alot but have not checked them out. I`ll look into them as well. As far as 4" pads go, I don`t suspect I`ll need them on my first job. As I star to expand outside my two wn cars and chage friends and family, I expect I will as some of my friends and family think car care is a four letter word.

jam
05-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Looks good Vforce. Do you have some APC or something for the tires? Maybe a little Hyperdressing as well?

For your next order, you may want to consider a smaller backing plate and smaller pads.

Saleenman607
05-10-2009, 05:19 PM
VForce.......are you a professional detailer? I would think that may have some weight in you arsenal decisions.

Me, personally, I would like to try out hundred`s of products, but it`s just too costly.

GoudyL
05-10-2009, 05:20 PM
So, based on the advice as well as post I have read on these forums, I took the plunge and invested in some nice detailing products.

As a 3M shareholder, I salute you. :can

VForce
05-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Professional detailer? No, just some guy with a passion to make his car look great.

As far as tires, wheels, leather, carpet, vinyl/rubber my stuff is pretty limited and all consumer grade stuff. I figure my consumer grade stuff can last me until I am out and I will replace with better quality products.

DetailnByDustn
05-10-2009, 10:28 PM
I was the same about a particular brand of chemicals, I chose mothers because of Chip Foose and their cleaner wax, after reviewing thousands of forums and videos about different waxes I changed my horizon to different chemicals then mothers and Im glad I did, I bought some m105 and m205 also used poli seal for my first time and love it, If I had more money I would buy more stuff from Clearkote, and Menzerna, and Zainos. Meguairs has about everything you need to make your car look outstanding, just depends on what you like and your ability to use it, O when you start to buy another clay bar kit just buy the clay bar and use your quick detailing spray to use as a lube, that way you dont have to buy kits all the time. Just a thought