PDA

View Full Version : HELL Yea I just did my first job for profit but I need help

NoH2O
05-10-2009, 07:43 AM
So for the past year I have been saying I was going to be a professional detailer, when I was 16,17,18 I work for a detailing shop in the summer then got into sales and now 7 years later I wanted to get back into it wanted my own business and I wanted to be outside, and I finally did it yesterday.

I think I need allot of work though this is how it went down.

12:00 I started on a Lincoln Aviator (Silver, White paint) Grey leather interior Mag rims. The owner has 2 kids and never took care of the car.

I spent a good hour cleaning the engine compartment

another hour washing

an hour clay bar

an hour waxing

and 2 hours on the interior

and then spent an hour going over everything just polishing everything getting the grease out of every corner lightly buffing out some scratches

It felt great when I was done the car looked new but here is the problem

it took me from 12 - 7:15 to finish

I only charged $165 I know that`s stupid that`s why I need your help

i redid almost everything

all the product I used came from the auto store and walmart

Turtle Wax bug and tar remover

Blue magic Leather and Vinyl Cleaner

Rain X Glass Cleaner (never again any suggestions)

Meguiars NXT wax (never again)

Standard carpet cleaner

Mequiars clay bar

So what do you guys use? Where would I buy?

How long would this have taken you? What do you charge?

Thank you guys so much for the help.

ohiostate
05-15-2009, 06:49 AM
There is a product review link, might want to check there... Like I always say read,read,and read, all of the answers to your questions are out there.. There is also a thread that answers all nob questions, I liknk it is located under detailing topic.. Use the search button..

jmkiang
05-15-2009, 07:17 AM
Well, you`re still averaging $20/hr since the cost of your products is pretty low.

Rhino
05-15-2009, 07:23 AM
Best advise I can give you to save time is to get used to a system. Plan your attack and do everything in the same order with every car (most of the time, anyway). Once you find the order in which things work out best for you, stick with it and you`ll eventually see turnaround times shorten, thus leaving you with more time to do the next job and making more profit.

Everyone has different favorite waxes and polishes, but a quick search will give you an idea of the top few to choose from.

As far as glass cleaner goes, my favorite is Stoner`s Invisible Glass.

ohiostate
05-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Best advise I can give you to save time is to get used to a system. Plan your attack and do everything in the same order with every car (most of the time, anyway). Once you find the order in which things work out best for you, stick with it and you`ll eventually see turnaround times shorten, thus leaving you with more time to do the next job and making more profit.

Everyone has different favorite waxes and polishes, but a quick search will give you an idea of the top few to choose from.

As far as glass cleaner goes, my favorite is Stoner`s Invisible Glass.

agree...........

drew.haynes
05-15-2009, 12:00 PM
+1 on Stoner`s Invisible Glass

charlesaferg
05-15-2009, 02:10 PM
Sounds about right for what you`ve done.

Irkie500
05-16-2009, 05:20 PM
+1 on stoners works wonders

jtford95
05-16-2009, 10:46 PM
I agree with Rhino, the more you do cars the better and faster you will get.

As far as the money goes, If you want to make it you HAVE to charge correctly.PERIOD. It is not just about making the car look prefect, It is about making sure you can pay your bills,eat, feed your kids, and what ever else it takes to live.Comfortable.