PDA

View Full Version : Oxidation showing up after a month

qbmurderer13
05-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Hey guys a detailed a black 95 volkswagen about a month back that had lots of oxidation and swirls. Got rid of about 95% of it as the car was in very rough shape. Owner calls me again saying that the whiteish oxidation is showing up on.the hood and roof again. Were located in FL so the sun is intense but it shouldn`t show up after a month should it? I`m scared to redo his car as I think his clear coat is going. What do you guys think? I used plenty of protection when I detailed it btw.

Setec Astronomy
05-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Kind of hard to guess without pictures, but it sounds like the CC is going from your description.

qbmurderer13
05-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Yeah I figured. Is there anything I can do in the meanwhile to at least make it less noticable? Maybe a glaze? I assume polishing would be the last thing I wanna do?

GoudyL
05-08-2009, 08:40 PM
A glaze and pure carnaubas wax may help on the spots where the clear coat is gone. Often the raw pigment layer can be very "thirsty" and will glaze nicely othertimes it is very dense and absorbs nothing. Tell him he needs to get the car repainted or atleast have someone skilled with car paint take a look at it.

Its very important to carefully inspect the car for any signs of failing clearcoat, and if you see it, adjust your plans accordingly (e.g no abrasive products).

Last thing you want to do is to use strong compounds to "clean up" failing clearcoat or oxidised pigment layer.

jtford95
05-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Does it have clear a coat on it? pictures would help for sure.