PDA

View Full Version : Paint Correction/Detailing Question

paulius005
05-07-2009, 09:15 PM
If I have posted this in the wrong section, I do apologize please move if you think it is necessary

I have been doing quite a bit of research on Autopia and would like to thank all of you for the great information posted on every section of this site.

I have used the Zaino system before and have tried many Meguiars products(I do try to maintain my car as much as possible), after reading quite a bit on this site this is what I decided to use on my 2006 Honda Accord. I am posting this so someone can tell me if I am incorrect and offer me some advice.

I want to remove scratches/hazing (The little scratches you see when the sun or a strong light shines on the car(Please correct me if this is not the proper term))

Then I would like to polish the paint, then seal it, the protect it with some Wet Paint Glaze

For this job I have chosen to use the following (once again if I chose a wrong product please correct me)........

Porter 7424 and buffing pads :buffing:(I have not yet acquired this, are there any alternatives to this? I have access to a Dewalt rotary buffer that I have used before to get rid of some more noticeable scratches... but it only has a waffle pad and a fuzzy lookin one :chuckle:)

Meguiars M103(maybe M105?) to get rid of all those scratches/hazing

Menzerna Intensive Polish... to perfect the paint correction

Menzerna Finishing Polish... to finalize paint correct

Duragloss #105 Sealant... to seal it

Wet Paint Glaze... to protect it

Any comments/words of advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

PerroneFord
05-07-2009, 11:27 PM
The Porter Cable 7424 is a good machine to start with. I just ordered one. I`ll get a Flex later.

Without seeing pics of your car, it`s somewhat difficult to give advice, but honestly, M105 is aobut the strongest thing out there. Seems an odd choice to begin with. Your car may not need anything like that level of correction.

Interesting that you`ve settled on Menzerna polishes. They are apparently very good, but understand them before you start trying to do a lot with them.

I`ve never heard of "Wet Paint Glaze". Can`t help you there.

Legacy
05-07-2009, 11:48 PM
If I have posted this in the wrong section, I do apologize please move if you think it is necessary

I have been doing quite a bit of research on Autopia and would like to thank all of you for the great information posted on every section of this site.

I have used the Zaino system before and have tried many Meguiars products(I do try to maintain my car as much as possible), after reading quite a bit on this site this is what I decided to use on my 2006 Honda Accord. I am posting this so someone can tell me if I am incorrect and offer me some advice.

I want to remove scratches/hazing (The little scratches you see when the sun or a strong light shines on the car(Please correct me if this is not the proper term))

Then I would like to polish the paint, then seal it, the protect it with some Wet Paint Glaze

For this job I have chosen to use the following (once again if I chose a wrong product please correct me)........

Porter 7424 and buffing pads :buffing:(I have not yet acquired this, are there any alternatives to this? I have access to a Dewalt rotary buffer that I have used before to get rid of some more noticeable scratches... but it only has a waffle pad and a fuzzy lookin one :chuckle:)

Meguiars M103(maybe M105?) to get rid of all those scratches/hazing

Menzerna Intensive Polish... to perfect the paint correction

Menzerna Finishing Polish... to finalize paint correct

Duragloss #105 Sealant... to seal it

Wet Paint Glaze... to protect it

Any comments/words of advice would be greatly appreciated

ThanksHonda has very soft clear so Menz 106 and 85rd to finish down is all you need. Don`t know anything about Wet Paint Glaze, but if it`s truly a glaze it will not last.

White lexus 23
05-08-2009, 01:49 AM
sounds like your off to a great start. also check into lake country pads. or the new meguiars soft buff pads 2.0.

Accumulator
05-08-2009, 11:00 AM
paulius005- Welcome to Autopia!

A few sorta-random thoughts follow:

-To do effective correction via PC I always need to use 4" pads. Larger ones are simply a waste of time IME.

-Honda clear is generally quite soft so I`d be surprised if you need M105, but it *can* behave quite mildly on a soft pad and it *is* user-friendly.

-Menzerna polishes are not user-friendly in everyone`s opinion.. they work great for some people but are a PIA for others.

-I no longer top sealants, I rely on them to provide all the protection/looks all on their own.

-The BIG thing IMO is to get your wash routine sorted out so you don`t instill new marring right after you correct the existing marring.

paulius005
05-08-2009, 11:43 AM
paulius005- Welcome to Autopia!

A few sorta-random thoughts follow:

-To do effective correction via PC I always need to use 4" pads. Larger ones are simply a waste of time IME.

-Honda clear is generally quite soft so I`d be surprised if you need M105, but it *can* behave quite mildly on a soft pad and it *is* user-friendly.

-Menzerna polishes are not user-friendly in everyone`s opinion.. they work great for some people but are a PIA for others.

-I no longer top sealants, I rely on them to provide all the protection/looks all on their own.

-The BIG thing IMO is to get your wash routine sorted out so you don`t instill new marring right after you correct the existing marring.

By marring you mean damage, correct?

And how do I get my car wash routine sorted? Do you mean schedule it to do it once a week or not washing the car for some time after doing the correction?

As for everyone else, thanks for your input. Honda does not exactly have the toughest clearcoat as you all stated, so maybe I should start with the Menzerna intensive polish, and if that does not take the scratches it move onto something more abrasive? Any recommendations before moving onto M105?

Accumulator
05-08-2009, 11:53 AM
By marring you mean damage, correct?

Right- scratches/swirls/spiderwebs.

..And how do I get my car wash routine sorted? Do you mean schedule it to do it once a week or not washing the car for some time after doing the correction?

I meant getting the technique figured out so you don`t instill new marring. There are some good threads about it and I`m afraid it`s far too involved a topic for me to rehash here/now. The basic problem is that when you press dirt against the paint (say, with a wash mitt or sponge) and them *move* that dirt against the paint (say, by "scrubbing" with the mitt), you rub the dirt across the surface of the paint and that causes marring...the wash medium acts just like sandpaper because it`s moving abrasive dirt around.

... Honda does not exactly have the toughest clearcoat as you all stated, so maybe I should start with the Menzerna intensive polish, and if that does not take the scratches it move onto something more abrasive? Any recommendations before moving onto M105?

Maybe some Honda owners can offer some advice...

DefiningDetails
05-08-2009, 11:53 AM
I`ve got a 2009 Honda so I can relate to you!

As stated below, you PROBABLY will not need M105 as the Honda clearcoat on their latemodel vehicles is soft soft soft. Great for correcting, horrible for trying to maintain!

Stick with the LEAST aggressive method first; if that does not produce the correction you are looking for, step up the pad. If that doesn`t produce the correction, step up the polish.

From my own experience, Optimum Polish II (or polish with similar cut properties) on a 4" orange LC pad with a PC is suitable for MOST applications on my Honda. I have only ever had to step to M105 with a white pad once for series of RIDS on the rear bumper. Just remember, START WITH THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE and you should be fine to `feel it out` on your own. Again, from experience, you WILL need to make another pass or two after defect removal with a finishing polish, as the Honda clearcoat really needs to be burnished well for that `perfect` finish (due to how soft it is). The Menzerna finish polish you have is great, so stick with it! BTW, there are great videos on youtube that teach proper technique using the PC - you should check those out!

Once you have the correction you are looking for, grab your sealant of choice and your wax of choice and do your thing! Once you`re done, be sure to start reading about proper maintenance / washing techniques so that you don`t have to do this all again next weekend!