PDA

View Full Version : Not Sure What to do Next

sarahbear524
05-06-2009, 06:40 PM
I have a steel gray 2008 Pontiac G6 - not too long ago I tried to clean some sticky substance off of it with an SOS pad (I already feel stupid about doing it, so no need to remind me how stupid I am) and it has left a somewhat dull area with scratches on it.

I cannot feel the scratches, but have tried just about everything that I know would work - I`ve tried rubbing compound, scratch and swirl removers, a clear coat scratch repairer and nothing seems to be making it any better, they are probably being made worse - I can see the scratch and swirl marks in just about any light and am utterly embarrassed that I`ve only had the car for 4 months and did something stupid like use an SOS pad on the car.

Is there anyone that could steer me in the right direction as to what to do - I`m not too knowledgeable about cars and repair, I know the very basic things and not much else.

I`ve been thinking that my last resort is to take it to get professionally detailed and maybe was hoping to avoid the cost involved in that and getting the professional equipment to do it myself and screw it up further.

I`m hoping someone can offer me some kind of advice on what I can do to repair these marks myself...if it`s a hopeless case for me to do on my own, I`d appreciate the fact in someone telling me that...

Thanks for the help in advance,

Sarah

imported_smprince1
05-06-2009, 06:47 PM
The dull area is probably caused by very shallow abrasion caused by the SOS pad unless you really scrubbed hard.

Most likely this can be machine polished to remove the marring and restore the gloss.

Do you have any photos?

How did you apply/work the compounds/swirl removers? If they were aggressive and/or not properly worked they could have left marring of their own which may be what you are describing.

backwoods_lex
05-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Yeah, pictures would be good. It could range from not too bad to time for a repaint.

It would probably be best to consult a pro. Fixing something like that could be done as a spot repair not requiring an entire "full detail". It shouldn`t cost that much (assuming it`s not through the clear). I`d also stop making attempts until you consult a pro or do some research here. Good luck!

Setec Astronomy
05-07-2009, 04:18 AM
Fortunately there are some new products that may allow you to improve this by hand. However, your initial SOS attack or the subsequent rubbing compound may have done permanent damage. As has been said, do you have any pictures you can share?

sarahbear524
05-07-2009, 06:35 AM
This is the best picture I can get right now with my cell phone - I can get more pictures later with a better camera, but I`m hoping that this is better than nothing: http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/1424/050709074400.jpg

I applied everything that I used by hand with a towel, in circular motions until my arm was rather sore. If there`s anything out there that could work by hand that would be the best situation as I don`t have access to any kind of machinery, nor can I afford it - and if I try to do it myself, it`d make it a lot worse as it usually tends to do when I want to fix it myself. If my only course of action here is going to see a pro, then that is what I have to do...

Please let me know what I need to do...

Thanks!

Sarah

imported_sal329
05-07-2009, 06:44 AM
Where are you located? Best bet is to find a professional to help you

imported_Jakerooni
05-07-2009, 07:21 AM
Get it professionally detailed and chaulk it up to a learning experience... have the detailer go through with you proper cleaning techniques so should this sticky substance get on your car again you`ll know a non-damaging way to get rid of it. I highly doubt you damaged it to the point of needing a repaint with an SOS pad but it`s definatly not a good idea to take steel wool to painted surfaces. Hopefully you can find a detailer in a reasonable price range for this fix.

sarahbear524
05-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Where are you located? Best bet is to find a professional to help you

I am located near Milwaukee, WI

flash gordon
05-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Sarah I agree we what has already been said.I would post another thread asking for a detailer in your area.I`m sure someone would be able to take care of your problem with some 2000-3000 grit wet sand, followed by a Rotary. Maybe at this point the detailer could help you out on some tips for doing your on washes.

While most all on this site are Extremeley good at detailing, We to do other "Stupid" things in other parts of our lives,that you would probally handle with ease.

Accumulator
05-07-2009, 09:50 AM
sarahbear524- Welcome to Autopia!

As noted, there`s no point in beating yourself up over this and a pro might be able to sort things out just fine.

If you`re unable to find somebody in your area and want to try it yourself, post back and we`ll see if we can guide you through a DIY repair.

WaxManRonnie
05-07-2009, 12:32 PM
I had a customer do the same thing with the whole door. Here`s what I did.

Wet sand the area using a wet sand paper and water. Got a rotary and polished it with 3M Rubbing Compound. After that followed through with

a machine polish and it was gone.

In the future keep 3M adhesive remover on hand for those "sticky" things that come up.