PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Obsidian Black RX350 - Need Help

Pages : [1] 2

VForce
05-05-2009, 06:58 PM
So, I just got my new car and as expected, the paint is far from perfect. I can honestly say it looks like they have avoided auto washes but that about it. The paint has some minor bonded contaminant that needs to be removed with some clay. It also has some minor spiderwebing but nothing too bad. What I am looking for is help on what products I need to invest in to get it from "OK" to "WOW". I would like to stick to the Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze Brand if they are good. Reason being I can get it locally and their consumer product has never failed me.

I am planning on using:

Wash:

#62 Carwash Shampoo & Conditioner or Gold Class Car Wash

Clay:

Mirror Glaze Professional Detailing Clay (Mild)

Beyond this, I don’t know. Any help would be welcome.

loudog2
05-05-2009, 08:01 PM
I would look at Megs M105/205, menzerna SIP, 106FA and 85RD for polishes. Are you out of money now after spending over $40k? Invest in some good products to get your "WOW" factor your looking for. You`ll also need a good sealant or wax.

Deanski
05-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Welcome to the nightmare black maintenance can be!

A good wash that has high lube and good sheepskin mitts is a must, or foam gun.

From there, really good MF towels.

Polishes, I use strickly Menzerna on my black Porsche, but that`s me. Any really good mild and fine polishes for finish work, then a few good cutting polishes and pads to level.

For LSP`s, try to use a sealant, more so if you are near trees in the springtime as the pollen sticks to wax like flypaper on a hot black finish, where a sealant will not let the pollen stick.

So far, Zaino has done me well for black. They also make some fine polish and AIO polish. The newest sealant is one you apply and walk away, no rubbing or buffing off.

Anyway, welcome to hell!:angry

Deanski

VForce
05-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Well, thank you for the fast replys. Unfortunitly, this isn`t my first go around with soft black lexus paint. My old car as a 2006 Lexus IS 250 AWD with Obsidian Black paint. It drove freaking MAD! I gues this time I hope to get on it quick and keep it up.

So, both of you recommend Menzerna. I will have to check it out. I don`t think I need a harsh cutter at this time as the paint is ok. Could I go from claying to Menzerna PO85RD or Meguiar`s M205. Then from their stright to a sealant?

Something like this?

Wash:

#62 Carwash Shampoo & Conditioner or Gold Class Car Wash

Clay:

Mirror Glaze Professional Detailing Clay (Mild)

Polish:

Menzerna PO85RD or Meguiar`s M205

Sealant:

Meguiar`s M21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0 or Zaino Z-AIO/Z-5 PRO

Deanski
05-05-2009, 09:18 PM
I too had a black RX300 (you`d think I`d learn, buut nooooo) and yes, it too was a pain.

From there, I got a red SC430. Not as bad, but still same soft paint ugh!

Porsche paint is even worse when it comes to soft.

Yes, Menzerna is the way I`d go and still use with just polishing pads mostly and quite a few finish and glaze pads.

Soemtimes, swirls/marring still happens and you will have to level those first, so I use SIP or IP Menzerna for that.

But for well maintained soft black, 85RD or 106FF or FA is the way to go. It`s a bit tricky to learn, but when you do, it`s like a black laquer piano when done.

Then, find a good sealant. Zaino works for me and with Z8 as the last QD, really adds depth.

LSP`s are so subjective to debate and look, so find something that looks good, lasts long and stay with it since you`ll learn when it`s time to re apply to keep it up rather than jumping from LSP to LSP.

Black means taking you time as well. You just can`t rush the finish. The more time you spend with polishing, the more you`ll get the finish perfect!

Regards,

Deanski

VForce
05-05-2009, 11:05 PM
I thought a sealant was a LSP. Damn this paint care thing is confusing.

Also, what DA should I look at getting. The flex is a bit over priced for me I think. Should I look at the PC or newer Meguiar’s G110

Mark77
05-06-2009, 12:21 AM
Yes it is confusing at first, but you will find a system that works for you..

A sealant is usually the LSP, but some prefer waxes or to put a sealant and a wax on top of it..

loudog2
05-06-2009, 08:16 AM
M205, 106FA and 85RD are good polishes to have for soft paint. But just in case you get that idiot in the parking lot who bumps your new car. You want something to get that out, like SIP. In that case you can spot polish that area, and finish of the rest with the lighter polish. Have it just in case.

Definetily get 3-4 of each pad(orange, white, gray, and blue). You will ise 2-3 for each polish. Then one extra in case you drop one.

The flex is more expensive, but it will speed up the process. It will also get deeper swirls out easier than a PC.

ISLover
05-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Why we`re on the subject, isn`t Lexus Obsidian Black, Single Stage paint? I`m no pro, but I had a hard time getting something as light as ZPC from hologramming. I`ve used ZPC and other polishes on my other vehicles with no problems at all but not the Obsidian Black on my new car. It is a different animal. I have almost gotten to the point of just using glazes to cover and give up on polishing. Any thoughts?

VForce
05-06-2009, 01:54 PM
I have not been able to get a solid answer on this either. Most say it is SS paint but then someone who claims to know or work for Lexus says otherwise. I am sure if I call the dealer they wouldn`t have a clue so I just don`t know how to find out. What I can say is my old Obsidian Black while so very soft, it never blackened the pads whn my friend detailed it with his PC.

VForce
05-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Ok, my work just hooked me up with some cash for Amazon so here`s the plan for my order.

DA: G110

Pads: LC White, Black & Blue

Wash: Meguiar`s Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner

Clay: Mirror Glaze Professional Detailing Clay (Mild)

Polish: M105 & M205 (Soft Paint, will likely only use the M205 on my car)

Sealant: M21

Wax: M26

QD: M135

I don`t want to hassle with Zaino layers or the ZFX so I am thinking of using the M21. The only think I am up in the air about is was the wax. M26 is good, used it in the past by hand but not sure it’s the best product to go on top of M21. Any suggestions?

I will be placing the order likely tomorrow so any thoughts on my product choices would be very helpful.

ISLover
05-09-2009, 11:45 AM
You have a lot of fun on the way.

I can`t answer the question on the 21 & 26, pros will chime in, but I`m not sure that white pad and 205 will be enough to take any thing out of the paint. I ran into this with ZPC + white pad. May need to step up to an orange pad??? I guess it depends on the condition of the paint.

Please let us (me) know how this combo and 205 work with that paint. I had a nightmare of a time with it.

By the way, you are right about the Zaino. It is what my car is wearing and I am not crazy about the look. My last ride was a Lexus ES300 but the black was not the Obsidian and the Zaino looked awesome on it. It makes the Obsidian look like plastic or fake. I`m considering Black Hole and Souvriegn during the summer and Zaino in the winter.

VForce
05-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Yeah, I had Zaino on my 06 Obsidian IS250 and it held up great (Friend did it) but the looks was just ok, and the time it took to apply was crazy.

I already did the hood by hand with just plain old ScratchX 2.0 and a foam app. My guess is 205 with a white pad should cut just enough on the soft Lexus paint.

VForce
05-09-2009, 12:27 PM
So, here are some pictures from my "NEW" car. Guess the paint doesn`t look so new under closer review. Does it look like I should use 105 first?

VForce
05-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Here are a few pictures of my car in its current condition.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/lmscls/2010%20RX350/Door.jpg

Looks great from a few feet away.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/lmscls/2010%20RX350/Hood.jpg

Here is a shot of the hood up close.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/lmscls/2010%20RX350/Hood2.jpg

Another shot of the hood. :bawling:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/lmscls/2010%20RX350/WindowPillar.jpg

Window Pillar. So much for a new car looking new.

So, from these pictures, I get a sense I will need to use m105 to start, correct?