PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip..product advice

Pages : [1] 2

nonwelder
05-04-2009, 08:11 PM
I`ll be making a 2,300 mile road trip to Disney next month! :) I`ve always had a bra for my cars, but not my Mazda3. My question is this...should I use a product like Griot`s Bug Off ($10), or buy a bra for ~$110? I`ve been on the fence, as I know the bra can cause rub marks/damage. Additionally, I will be using a ONR/Water mix in a spray bottle when I stop for gas to remove any bugs. Thoughts, advice, etc?

Thanks

Setec Astronomy
05-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Wasn`t there just a thread like this? I think the definitive answer was...blue masking tape!

Dsoto87
05-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Yea tape would work, the neon green automotive tape doesn`t actually look that bad against the silver of my car hahah.

nonwelder
05-04-2009, 08:19 PM
hmmm...not sure I wanna go that route....:(

RitcheyRch
05-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Know quite a few people that do this and they are all happy with the results.

Wasn`t there just a thread like this? I think the definitive answer was...blue masking tape!

Dsoto87
05-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Buy the bra than

stiffdogg06
05-05-2009, 06:28 AM
I will driving down to Nashville in July from Columbus, Ohio. The whole front end of my car is getting blue painters taped.

nonwelder
05-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Anywhere I can get black tape?

nonwelder
05-05-2009, 11:16 AM
I`ve also just accepted that I should bring a pesticide sprayer full of ONR solution and clean about halfway to Florida.

Darkstar752
05-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Anywhere I can get black tape?

Cover the front of the car in blue painters tape, then just put black tape over the blue tape since black tape is usually strong. It will really help prevent chips, which is a lot more important than bugs.

Maybe you won`t look cool for a day or two, but I would much rather have that then a chipped up front end.

MarcHarris
05-05-2009, 12:26 PM

+1, and i even thought someone just revived that post from a couple weeks ago...

OP- do a quick search and i think u can find more in-depth explanations with pics :)

JSFM35X
05-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Take A Good Cheap Carnuba Over The Counter Type And Cover The Whole Nose Of Your Car. At The End Of Your Trip Wash It Off. My Friend Used To Cover His Rx7 (white) In Boston Winters With Mothers Paste Wax Very Heavy. At The End Of The Winter He Washed It Off And It Seemed To Work. If You Have A Black Car The Tape Route Would Be Better. I Would Be Afraid Of Debris Getting Caught In The Wax.

I Know It Sounds Crazy, But It Worked For Him. I Those Days I Was Not Looking For Micro Marring, Just No Chips!

wascallyrabbit
05-05-2009, 03:33 PM
i`m not understanding the whole tape the front of my car up. if you drive the car regularly without taping the front end up then when on the road you should tape it up. a five gallon bucket, some mf`s, and onr should do the trick. when you stop at a hotel or disney you can just wash the car as needed. as for the taping thing i guess when i take my truck and towing my camper i should tape the front of the truck and the front of the camper *sarcasm* i just wash the truck and camper at my destination.

Bostonsfavson
05-05-2009, 04:14 PM
I don`t get it either. I can see if you`re driving a show car, or something very rare/expensive, but just a common daily driver? I`m about to embark on a 2400 mile trip (Vegas to Buffalo). I`ll be driving my truck, which is not only my DD but also my business vehicle. I accept the fact that when I get to my destination, I`ll have some dead bugs and, in all likelihood, a couple new chips. The bugs will come right off a well prepped surface, and any noticeable chips I`ll repair myself. I`m not knocking anyone who is concerned about such things, and goes to extremes such as taping the front of their vehicle up--far from it. I just personally don`t understand.

stiffdogg06
05-05-2009, 04:18 PM
I drive a 1997 Red Civic DDed. Just because it`s not half a million dollars nor a "show" car. I still care for it like it is. Its also my only car and its my hobby (350whp)

So driving 300-500 miles, I will tape the WHOLE damn front end.

Sorry, I just took those statements offensively since you think just cause a car is a DD it doesn`t need to be taken care of. Your DD might be a junk car or whatever, but my DD is my car I build, take care for, and advertise with. :geez