PDA

View Full Version : New 944 Owner in Atlanta

ancosta
05-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Just picked up a 1988 Porsche 944 from Ebay. An FL car, the body is overall together although the paint has taken a toll from the years in the sun. It will be a fun car to get cleaned up I think.

Have been detailing cars & boats for about 20 years, mostly for myself, some paid gigs. Looking for some tips & tricks to use on my 944, as I`ve been doing my details the same way I did about 15 years ago, and I know so much has changed.

Deanski
05-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Do the usual first (wash/clay) then look at the finish.

As always, start mild and work up. Newer Porsche paint is soft, so you may have one that has a bit harder finish. Test in areas not seen to see how tuff the finish is.

I`ve used Menzerna on my 997 C2S with great results. You can use mostly any good polish (Meg/3M etc) as well. I just like the way Menzerna works a finish, it took a little time to learn as opposed to 3M, but it does well with the right tools.

Leather and vinyl also must be treated. Clean the leather with a mix of Woolite and water, then dry well before treating with a mild conditioner. Stay away from Lexol, use a product more developed for automotive leather. Also, stay away from Hide Food, that is used for un-coated leathers. Always go mild just like polishing a finish. I`ve used Zaino Z9 and Z10 as well as Sonus and other mild leather conditioners. Nothing harsh.

Congrads on the 944, and please join PCA (Porsche Club of America)!:2thumbs:

Regards,

Deanski