PDA

View Full Version : Help with next detail.

Hoffer
05-03-2009, 04:07 PM
For my next detail I am doing a friends Volvo and am looking at washing, claying, and then using meg’s ultimate compound. Should I use something between that and wax or would it be ok to go straight from that to a wax?

cptzippy
05-03-2009, 04:12 PM
I`ll let the pros give you the definitive answer but I`ve been under the impression that your car is probably most ready for wax/lsp right after polishing. As long as it is well buffed I think you should be fine.

That being said, I use a cleaner glaze (Prima Amigo) that is part very fine polish and part glaze.

Jason M
05-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Follow Ultimate Compound with something else before wax. SwirlX or 205.

SuperBee364
05-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Follow Ultimate Compound with something else before wax. SwirlX or 205.

+1

UC is a compound. M205 is a finishing polish that will give you a better finish (glossy) than UC will.

craigdt
05-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Yes you should follow up with something else.

What other products do you have in the way of polishes?

imported_Hades02
05-03-2009, 08:21 PM
If you can`t wait and can`t find 205 locally, 3M Ultrafina is easily found at any auto body supply house and yields great results.

Hoffer
05-04-2009, 10:42 AM
I also have swirl X and deep crystal polish. Would use one of those and which one, then NXT 2.0? Also note I am working by hand.

tresola
05-04-2009, 02:12 PM
After using a compound, its best to use a polish before you wax to fill in any imperfections and to give the paint more gloss. A wax is a protectant. I`ve used the Meguiar`s deep polish and it does a great job. I`ve also worked with the NXT 1.0 wax and although it left a great shine and filled in a lot of swirls, it also didn`t last a super long time. Whenever I used a compound and polish, I finish with a sealant. Actually come to think of it, Mothers has a really nice polish/sealant that you could try. It seemed to last a long time and gave a really nice gloss. That would save you a step.

motobuild
05-04-2009, 03:21 PM
After using a compound, its best to use a polish before you wax to fill in any imperfections and to give the paint more gloss. A wax is a protectant. I`ve used the Meguiar`s deep polish and it does a great job. I`ve also worked with the NXT 1.0 wax and although it left a great shine and filled in a lot of swirls, it also didn`t last a super long time. Whenever I used a compound and polish, I finish with a sealant. Actually come to think of it, Mothers has a really nice polish/sealant that you could try. It seemed to last a long time and gave a really nice gloss. That would save you a step.

???

We use a lighter agressive polish after a compound to remove any hazing, light marring that is left by the compound and to bring out additional gloss. I don` think the point is to fill any imperfection in...like many glazes do.