PDA

View Full Version : Using AIO`s

jmkiang
05-01-2009, 11:05 AM
If I were to use KAIO or ZAIO, is a Dawn wash and claying necessary before? Or can I just do a normal wash, dry and start with the AIO?

Accumulator
05-01-2009, 11:53 AM
jmkiang- IMO the Dawn (or some other super-shampoo type of wash) isn`t necessary unless you have some specific issue that might call for it.

The claying simply depends on whether there is significant contamination on the panels. Generally claying is a good idea. But the AIOs do some cleaning too (albeit of a different nature compared to the clay) and I`d approach it on a case-by-case basis.

We were just discussing this on another thread...it`s not like I`m not a big fan of claying, but it`s also not like people didn`t get by OK for ages before clay came out in the early `90s.

Eh...if in doubt, clay a panel and see if the clay ends up with a lot of contamination.

jmkiang
05-01-2009, 12:38 PM
I guess I can just spot clay after a normal wash.

Thanks

willtothewong
05-01-2009, 01:11 PM
yup

no need for a dawn wash, keep that in the sink

claying, when done properly with enough lubrication, followed by KAIO is a good basis to put on another wax.

i think you can simply leave the KAIO as a lsp but i dont think it works well that way. i usually go with KAIO and then either souveran or meg`s 26. but i think any other wax will make your paint look great.

armoredsaint
05-01-2009, 01:19 PM
definitely use something to top you KAIO or ZAIO - I like either KSG or Z5/Z2 or ZCS:2thumbs:

jmkiang
05-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Yeah I`m actually doing this for someone else.

Wash / spot clay / ZAIO / Z5 or Z2 / Z6

If they pay more, then I`ll throw in some ZFX and do ZFX`d Z5 + Z2 :D

I did my friend`s car the other day... started with a Dawn wash since I was polishing. Turned out pretty good. Maybe next time I`ll just do a normal wash and see which I like better. Maybe a normal wash followed by an IPA wipedown.