PDA

View Full Version : Is Ming even really wax?

cptzippy
04-30-2009, 08:28 AM
Ok, so my friend got a 2007 Caddy STS in black. I told him I`m show him how to take care of the exterior or interior. The dealer did the Ming process to it. Ok so before you tell me to search you noob - I`ve read a few of the threads about it and how they say they recure the paint. Sounds like phooey to me and the finish has moderate swirling plus some defects the dealer is going to `buff out` for him.

Alright, here goes the REAL question, should I assume there is any wax protection on it all? Put on a coat of Prima Banana gloss the other day for him but if this Ming junk doesn`t involve any lsp at all I`ll apply one for him sooner rather than later.

Saleenman607
04-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Sorry...I know not what the "Ming" process is. Do tell.

cptzippy
04-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Look here:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/professional-detailer-general-discussion/41406-ming-detailer-took-my-customer-looks-same.html?highlight=ming+process

and here:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/97992-ming-process.html?highlight=ming+process

bcwang
04-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Hmm.....it looks like they simply polish your paint. I guess the "not have to wax" is the real marketing magic that makes people pay a lot to get their car "washed and polished". Maybe with modern clearcoats the finish can still look quite nice with no protection for their warranty period, if there is a warranty.

ta240
04-30-2009, 01:03 PM
wow, I had a car 20 years ago that was 10+ years old at that time that had a sticker on the window that said "enjoy your Ming finish, no waxes or polishes please" or something to that effect.

Envious Eric
04-30-2009, 02:08 PM
strip it and polish/wax it...

Saleenman607
04-30-2009, 03:45 PM
I believe I`ll skip the "ming" process and continue on with my own protocol. Good luck and carry on......

salty
05-01-2009, 01:07 AM
I believe the Ming process was used years ago in the single stage paint era. A technician would rotary polish the paint until the heat would "reflow" the paint and so call cure it again. The outcome done in the right hands would be a hard, smooth, shiny surface.

They said "no wax" because they believed, reheating and smoothing the paint would be enough to protect the paint.

Personally I have "melted" an area of single stage and it did give the impression of reflowing. To do an entire car would be a chore I`m sure.

Today`s catalyzed paint can not be worked in this manner, they are cured hard after a few days.

I think the few Ming people left are just applying their own name sealant and not reflowing paint.

armoredsaint
05-01-2009, 01:44 PM
looks like it`s from 1970 :grinno:

http://www.mingsa.com/common_images/WebGraphic/Ming_Scans/Onwer.JPG

David Fermani
05-01-2009, 02:19 PM
I believe the Ming process was used years ago in the single stage paint era. A technician would rotary polish the paint until the heat would "reflow" the paint and so call cure it again. The outcome done in the right hands would be a hard, smooth, shiny surface.

They said "no wax" because they believed, reheating and smoothing the paint would be enough to protect the paint.

There`s a fellow member here that has claimed to do this on super soft finishes and swears it has "work hardened" the finish. I think he`s uses a combination of medium foam and spritz`s water on a finish that already has an oily film created from certain polish reminants. He swears by it and I don`t doubt it one bit.

cptzippy
05-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Whatever it is, it`s on top of a pretty good crops of swirls so when he`ll let me I strip it down and do a correction on it.

salty
05-02-2009, 12:00 AM
There`s a fellow member here that has claimed to do this on super soft finishes and swears it has "work hardened" the finish. I think he`s uses a combination of medium foam and spritz`s water on a finish that already has an oily film created from certain polish reminants. He swears by it and I don`t doubt it one bit.

David does he do this with SS or BC/CC?

BIOLINK
05-02-2009, 01:08 AM
Proven The Ming Shine Company has been shining your vehicles since 1935. Dent Repair Scratch Repair Bumper Repair (http://www.mingshine.com/faqs.htm)

I`m not sure if I`m allowed to post a link to another website but I will make it clear that Icon Motorsports is not endorsing the MingShine company. I found this site and thought it was interesting.

:buffing:

David Fermani
05-02-2009, 05:01 AM
David does he do this with SS or BC/CC?

Clear Coat.