PDA

View Full Version : Decon Kit for stained paint?

bcwang
04-28-2009, 05:42 PM
I`ve got a white car which I used a paint cleaner and also clay bar. The whole car changed to a nice white from what was quite stained and dirty paint. However, looking at it in the right lighting, you can still see bird bomb shapes, and water spot outlines. Even taking mothers scratch remover to these areas, and swirlx, it seems these things won`t go away. It is quite dull looking but feels smooth because of the clay bar and other stuff I applied trying to clean it. Overall, the finish looks not too great, but feels very smooth overall.

So I`m wondering if this is a case where a decontamination kit, like the FK1 or valugard, can help. Can they make the paint look new again with just the simple application of the kit?

Thanks!

BigJimZ28
04-28-2009, 05:52 PM
IMO it sounds more like etching from the bird poop

it needs compounding and /or wetsanding

bcwang
04-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Should you be able to feel etching? Because it feels the same as any other area of paint, it just looks different. I was also surprised mothers scratch remover, mothers pre-wax cleaner, turtle wax liquid clay, nor a clay bar, did anything to these spots.

Does the decon kit smooth oxidized paint? So if the paint felt pretty rough, would doing the decon wash make it end up glassy smooth without claying?

honkeybizkit
04-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Heavy Compounding via rotary.. (skilled detailer of course)

Is it clear coated white? or Single Stage white? SS whites can be a pain to correct... usually are very HARD paints.

bcwang
04-29-2009, 10:42 PM
I think it`s clearcoated. But that was always just my assumption, nothing led me to believe otherwise. It`s a 2000 mirage.

honkeybizkit
04-30-2009, 07:55 AM
I would bet it`s single stage. Not too long ago I had done a 2002/3 Mitsubishi Lancer in white. It was single stage, and was a bear to correct. Very hard paint. I used Optimum Compound via rotary.. but now I have Meguiars 105/205 and would probably use that combo.

Accumulator
04-30-2009, 08:43 AM
While you won`t correct etching with anything except quite aggressive abrasion, starting a major detail on a white vehicle with a good decon + claying can get things off on the right foot.

bcwang
04-30-2009, 12:11 PM
If it was single stage and so hard to correct, would it also be difficult to put in some nasty scratches while using swirlx with too much pressure? Because that`s exactly what happened to it while trying swirlx on the gas cap, it put in nice deep scratches when I pressed too hard.

I wonder if there is an easy way to figure out if it`s single stage or not. Maybe use a non white polish on a non white applicator and see if it turns white?

Accumulator
04-30-2009, 02:12 PM
I wonder if there is an easy way to figure out if it`s single stage or not. Maybe use a non white polish on a non white applicator and see if it turns white?

That oughta work. I`d probably use a MF or a yellow foam pad with a 1Z polish but there are some non-white Meguiar`s ones too.

BigJimZ28
04-30-2009, 03:04 PM
if it is SS paint when you wash you polishoing pad

it will run milky white for the first few seconds

bcwang
04-30-2009, 03:57 PM
if it is SS paint when you wash you polishoing pad

it will run milky white for the first few seconds

Last time I washed my pads that had mothers scratch remover, mothers pre-wax cleaner, and swirlx, they all seemed to run white anyway from a red clearcoated car.

BigJimZ28
04-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Last time I washed my pads that had mothers scratch remover, mothers pre-wax cleaner, and swirlx, they all seemed to run white anyway from a red clearcoated car.

ok so you know what just the polish looks like when you clean you pads

next time you do this white car and clean the pads if the color looks the same it is CC but if the rinse water looks more white then it`s SS:hifive: