PDA

View Full Version : 1978 Red Ferrari -- 1st Time

HondaMan
10-28-2005, 06:02 PM
I will probably help my uncle detail his 1978 Red Ferrari over Thanksgiving. I think it`s a 308 or 328, can`t remember.

Anyway....I think it hasn`t been detailed since he got it a few years ago, so there might not be anything at all on the paint or clearcoat. Claying is a definite, but wanted to know if anybody knows any must-use or must not-uses as far as products. I have a bunch of Poorboys, Klasse, and Four Star products so I have options.

If anybody has ever worked on a bright red (almost looked like it had a touch of orange in the color) 1970`s Ferrari, please post your experiences and/or suggestions. As of now, I`m thinking wash with Poorboys, clay, AIO, KLASSE SG, 2nd layer of KLASSE SG (if I stay overnite).

AZ Ferrari Man
10-28-2005, 06:09 PM
Hey, I would probably guess that the paint is a bit oxidized, so I would go with Klasse AIO, and see how that comes out. It is a single stage paint so clearcoat isnt an issue. I would go with the 4* UPP over the AIO, it should look dripping wet! IF you are going to use a PC go with a polishing pad first and if that doesn`t budge it than go with a cut pad around speed 4-5, and dont worry if you see red on the pad it is just oxidized dead paint. Go luck, and with the wheels I would use a billet metal cleaner like mothers mag (b/c you can buy it locally)

Good luck, and you better bring some pics back!

Andrew

HondaMan
10-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Hey, I would probably guess that the paint is a bit oxidized, so I would go with Klasse AIO, and see how that comes out. It is a single stage paint so clearcoat isnt an issue. I would go with the 4* UPP over the AIO, it should look dripping wet! IF you are going to use a PC go with a polishing pad first and if that doesn`t budge it than go with a cut pad around speed 4-5, and dont worry if you see red on the pad it is just oxidized dead paint. Go luck, and with the wheels I would use a billet metal cleaner like mothers mag (b/c you can buy it locally) Good luck, and you better bring some pics back! Andrew

Will do, but won`t use the PC on the Ferrari as I`m a novice. Even though a polishing pad should be OK -- unless I see tons of spider webs and then I`ll use an SSR with the PC.

AZ Ferrari Man
10-28-2005, 07:49 PM
I would use very little AIO, it spreads forever, and wipeon-wipeoff.

Use SSR1 if anything, and you should be golden, and remember SSR1 takes forever to work in, so be patient, 4-6mins a panel

Andrew