PDA

View Full Version : Couldn`t correct much with M105 - Help

Pages : [1] 2

WillF
04-28-2009, 10:51 AM
I recently got my sample of M105, and the Megs Yellow Foam Polishing Pad. I have a PC 7424. I was working on a Toyota corolla trunk that had medium swirls on it. I noticed I coudln`t get the M105 to cut as much as I would have liked it to. I did two passes and there wasn`t much change.

I switched over to Menzerna SIP with Orange CCS pad and the results were much better - with one pass I managed to get out ~ 80% of the swirls. M105 is suppsoed to be stronger than SIP right? IS there any reason why my results with M105 weren`t what I expected?

I don`t have very much experience with polishing - so I`m willing to bet theres something in my technique that i`m doing wrong. I`ve seen alot of you guys with much success with M105, any tips / pointers on what I could possibly be doing wrong?

Thanks

Mobilejay
04-28-2009, 10:56 AM
what speed where you running the pc on with the 105? Toyotas paint is typically soft so you might have been micromarring the paint with the aggressive combo and it looked like you weren`t getting anything done. If the SIP works, stay with that, do 2 passes and see what you get or after one pass go down to a less abrasive polish

WillF
04-28-2009, 11:07 AM
I was using it at speed 6 - is that too high?

Mobilejay
04-28-2009, 11:26 AM
no not for a pc but like I said, it could have been marring the paint since yotas have soft clears and looked like swirls were still there. I`m not sure. If the SIP worked, stick with that.

dschia
04-28-2009, 11:30 AM
How is your work time with the m105? Is your work time with m105 very short? If your able to pre-long the work time and put in more pressure especially with PC, you are going to cut better. m105 will not work the same way you use it with the SIP.

WillF
04-28-2009, 11:37 AM
I noticed the M105 goes clear really quick, I`m not sure what that implies, but I prolonged my work time and the results still weren`t there ( on my second pass ).

What would the difference be , in terms of technique between M105 and SIP?

I would say I was applying them in a similar manner.

Darkstar752
04-28-2009, 11:48 AM
I noticed the M105 goes clear really quick, I`m not sure what that implies, but I prolonged my work time and the results still weren`t there ( on my second pass ).

What would the difference be , in terms of technique between M105 and SIP?

I would say I was applying them in a similar manner.

It`s the marring that it`s leaving behind since you are using a very aggresive polish on a very soft paint.

RaskyR1
04-28-2009, 12:01 PM
You were using M105 with a polishing pad, and SIP with a cutting pad. That`s probably the biggest diffeence right there. M105`s aggressiveness will vary a lot with pad choice and the amount of pressure applied.

ADOWInc
04-28-2009, 12:18 PM
I have not worked much with the SIP so I cannot speak with any authority but I use 105 a whole lot. First off, the PC is a random orbital machine which should used for application (such as applying paint sealant) as opposed to doing paint correction. Can you get paint correction with the PC? Yes, but limited. So using the PC with 105 I think is leaving a lot on the table. A rotary or true DA will give you much more correction then the PC. When using the 105, you must take your time. Work in small sections and the more correction you need, the slower you should work it. You should be doing at least 3 passes in each small section. Depending on how much correction is needed will determine what combination of machine and pad and how many steps you need to do. I find most cars with light swirling or car wash scratches can be removed with my Flex DA and a yellow Mequiars pad with the 105. I usually have the Flex DA on the highest setting. I then follow up with the the Flex DA with either a yellow or black Meguiars pad and 205. The paint comes out phenomenal. But take your time and be patient with the 105 process. I hope this helps!

WillF
04-28-2009, 12:34 PM
You were using M105 with a polishing pad, and SIP with a cutting pad. That`s probably the biggest diffeence right there. M105`s aggressiveness will vary a lot with pad choice and the amount of pressure applied.

Ahhhh.. you are right. I totally overlooked pad choices. I thought the Lake Orange was equivalent to the Megs yellow.

I have not worked much with the SIP so I cannot speak with any authority but I use 105 a whole lot. First off, the PC is a random orbital machine which should used for application (such as applying paint sealant) as opposed to doing paint correction. Can you get paint correction with the PC? Yes, but limited. So using the PC with 105 I think is leaving a lot on the table. A rotary or true DA will give you much more correction then the PC. When using the 105, you must take your time. Work in small sections and the more correction you need, the slower you should work it. You should be doing at least 3 passes in each small section. Depending on how much correction is needed will determine what combination of machine and pad and how many steps you need to do. I find most cars with light swirling or car wash scratches can be removed with my Flex DA and a yellow Mequiars pad with the 105. I usually have the Flex DA on the highest setting. I then follow up with the the Flex DA with either a yellow or black Meguiars pad and 205. The paint comes out phenomenal. But take your time and be patient with the 105 process. I hope this helps!

This is good to know, Thanks. I always thought the PC was a DA? Does this mean the Flex DA is much more effective than a PC? Can it cause irreversible damage?

Accumulator
04-28-2009, 12:38 PM
WillF- I`ve never used SIP so I can`t comment on it, but M105 can work quite effectively via PC (and by hand). BUT...IME it needs a 4" pad and/or a light cut pad like the orange (milder pads work fine on the Flex 3401 but the PC is simply different and can`t take as much applied pressure).

And sometimes one product/pad combo simply *works better* on a particular paint. I can readily see the M105 causing problems on soft paint.

The LC orange has a lot more cut than the Meg`s yellow. The Meg`s yellow only cut well for me (using M105) on the Flex, didn`t do much of anything via PC but that was on hard clear.

Working via PC I`d be using 4" pads, even on soft paint.

ADOWInc
04-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Most people consider the PC 7424 a DA but it is actually a random orbital. This will not give you as much correction as a true DA. Permanent damage is not as likely with the DA because it does not heat up the paint like a rotary. However, in the wrong hands it is always possible.

Mobilejay
04-28-2009, 12:49 PM

Oh is the megs yellow not the same as the LC yellow? I thought it was a cutting pad he was working with.

RaskyR1
04-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Oh is the megs yellow not the same as the LC yellow? I thought it was a cutting pad he was working with.

Nope. It would be similar to the LC white. ;)

WillF
04-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys! much appreciated.

Regarding the Flex , would that decrease time spent polishing over a PC? I may look into upgrading ...