PDA

View Full Version : What should I start with?

A_B
04-28-2009, 08:25 AM
Hey guys

I want to start polishing cars and was wondering what would be good pads, compounds polishers..etc to start with

I`m thinking about getting this kit + CCS 4inch spot pads

We Are Car Care -- Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-por...w-car-kit.html)

would you guys reccommend anything better or will this do? I plan on detailing my own cars first and than move onto friends` cars. I basically want a good combination of pads and abrasives to tackle any type of paint type

I also plan on getting a paint thickness guage very soon after purchasing the proper pads, compounds, polishes etc.. to.

I appreciate any advice thanks.

A_B
04-29-2009, 04:46 AM
does anyone have a suggestion?

Accumulator
04-29-2009, 10:12 AM
..I`m thinking about getting this kit + CCS 4inch spot pads

We Are Car Care -- Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-por...w-car-kit.html)

would you guys reccommend anything better or will this do?

The larger pads (6.5") that come with the kit give me pause. For waxing/etc. they`ll be fine, but for correction I`d want something smaller. I dunno...I bought my PCs ages ago and I haven`t run the numbers to see just how the economics really work out, but I`d think you`d do better to find the PC by itself and buy *only* the pads you actually need. I always suspect "kits" do more for the vendor than they do for the buyer (gee, aren`t I cynical :o ).

I`d get some 4" pads for correction (though others claim to do OK with 5.25-5.5" too) and some larger ones for waxing (if you want to do that by machine) and skip the 6.5" polishing pads unless you have *VERY* soft paint.

I`d order maybe 3 each of 4" orange light cut and white (or green) polishing and then maybe two larger waxing pads (always buy at least two because [stuff] happens).

You can also look into buffing waxes off via machine with MF bonnets, but I`d leave that go unless you`re in the mood to spend money (in which case I`d be happy to elaborate).

Note that the 4" pads require a small backing plate.

A_B
04-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Thanks, what about Menzerna as the actual compound? would they be good for most car paint types? I`d like to get a combination which I could use for many type of finishes.

Thanks

resek
04-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Menzerna has very great product.

Like you, i`m new to all this, so here what people suggested me :

Meguiars M105/M205

Menzerna SIP / 106FF / PO85RD/ FPII (PO87MC)

I added Optimum Poli-Seal cause it`s not expensive and deliver very great results as finishing polish / pre-LSP.

With this, 90% of your needs should be covered.

Concerning pads, if you go PC, stick with 5.5" and less (5" or 4")

Like Accumulator said, get some 4" for serious correction (PFW,orange,white), if i were you, i`d get FLAT .... not CCS.

Don`t forget 3.5" or 4" backing plate.

There is 5.5" CCS pads from autogeek (orange/white/black) or

5.5" uber flat pads from detailers domain (orange/green/black)

I bought 5.5 CCS pads (6xorange/6xwhite/3xblack), but after reading a lot, people preferer flat pads cause they have a better contact on paint surface.

So next time, i`ll be buying 5.5"uber flat pads from detailers domain.

Hope this help you, cause i`ve been in the same situation couple weeks ago.

:ca

Accumulator
04-29-2009, 04:12 PM
I will post this caveat concerning Menzerna 106FF- it can conceal defects, which then seem to magically "reappear" later when least expected. I`ve seen this with my own eyes and the vehicle in question had been polished by a *VERY* experienced and well regarded pro (who`s a member here). For that reason I`m not a fan of that particular Menzerna product.

I`m not opposed to products that conceal, but I want such behavior to be intentional and predictable, not something that can surprise you long down the road. Most concealing products will continue to conceal as long as they`re covered with wax (which is generally OK by me), but the 106FF allowed defects to reappear even though the LSP on top was still 100% fine...not only surprising, but also very frustrating.

OK, OK...end of rant :o

daman
04-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Menzerna has very great product.

Like you, i`m new to all this, so here what people suggested me :

Meguiars M105/M205

Menzerna SIP / 106FF / PO85RD/ FPII (PO87MC)

I added Optimum Poli-Seal cause it`s not expensive and deliver very great results as finishing polish / pre-LSP.

With this, 90% of your needs should be covered.

Concerning pads, if you go PC, stick with 5.5" and less (5" or 4")

Like Accumulator said, get some 4" for serious correction (PFW,orange,white), if i were you, i`d get FLAT .... not CCS.

Don`t forget 3.5" or 4" backing plate.

There is 5.5" CCS pads from autogeek (orange/white/black) or

5.5" uber flat pads from detailers domain (orange/green/black)

I bought 5.5 CCS pads (6xorange/6xwhite/3xblack), but after reading a lot, people preferer flat pads cause they have a better contact on paint surface.

So next time, i`ll be buying 5.5"uber flat pads from detailers domain.

Hope this help you, cause i`ve been in the same situation couple weeks ago.

:ca

thanks for the post,was going to buy the PC kit from AG with the ccs 5.5`s but i

think i`ll go for the PC kit and uber 5.5 pads, good idea??

A_B
04-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks a lot for the advice.