PDA

View Full Version : Brinkman vs 3m sun gun

Pages : [1] 2

efnfast
04-27-2009, 06:46 PM
When debating which to buy, I really didn`t find any simple comparissons of the two. Lots of arguments and whatnot, but nothing really helpful.

Anyways, I bought both and from a very simple viewpoint here`s my thoughts:

Sun gun - Good for finding holograms and color matching. Not so good finding swirls. I could point it (from many different angles) at a black panel that was fairly swirled up, but would be unable to see all the `damage`

Brinkman - No idea about holograms, but very easily able to find swirls and pretty much every defect in the paint.

To me, the brinkman is the better buy - it`s like carrying around the halogen lamps, but without having to carry them around (heh). Sun gun is more like a fancy toy that`s more for a bodyshop than a detailer.

I`m sure the sun gun has its uses (like if you were a rotary user), but for somebody such as myself who only uses a cyclo and (pretty much) can`t inflict holograms, it isn`t as useful.

Darkstar752
04-27-2009, 06:50 PM
On detailingbliss.com, the FenixFK10 seems to be a cheap, but still very good choice to the 3M Sungun.

BigAl3
04-27-2009, 06:52 PM
thanks for the feedback...

stiffdogg06
04-27-2009, 07:39 PM
I might have to get the Sun Gun or maybe a HID light to catch holograms...

Accumulator
04-28-2009, 09:12 AM
efnfast- Thanks for that comparo...I`d wondered how the Brinkman would compare.

I might have to get the Sun Gun or maybe a HID light to catch holograms...

I dunno...I can only see fairly severe holograms under my SunGun. I can`t see very light ones with it even when I know where they are :nixweiss

lostdaytomorrow
04-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Which Fenix is it that is preferred for this duty and why is it that certain Fenix and not a Surefire or something?

SuperBee364
04-28-2009, 09:48 AM
When debating which to buy, I really didn`t find any simple comparissons of the two. Lots of arguments and whatnot, but nothing really helpful.

Anyways, I bought both and from a very simple viewpoint here`s my thoughts:

Sun gun - Good for finding holograms and color matching. Not so good finding swirls. I could point it (from many different angles) at a black panel that was fairly swirled up, but would be unable to see all the `damage`

Brinkman - No idea about holograms, but very easily able to find swirls and pretty much every defect in the paint.

To me, the brinkman is the better buy - it`s like carrying around the halogen lamps, but without having to carry them around (heh). Sun gun is more like a fancy toy that`s more for a bodyshop than a detailer.

I`m sure the sun gun has its uses (like if you were a rotary user), but for somebody such as myself who only uses a cyclo and (pretty much) can`t inflict holograms, it isn`t as useful.

Unless the holos are severe, the Brinkmann won`t find them.

imported_Denzil
04-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Dang, guess I need the Sun Gun since I use the rotary, hehe.

Accumulator
04-28-2009, 12:27 PM

I`d sure try one out before you spend your $ though..sorta wish I`d borrowed the one my painter has. I tried it for swirl-spotting in his paintbooth and didn`t think it was very good but I bought mine anyway after reading how well it works for Dave KG. Seems like they work great for some people and not-so-great for others and it`s kinda pricey for that kind of gamble.

efnfast
04-28-2009, 01:33 PM

Knowing everything I know now, I would buy the brinkman since it`s cheap ($20ish) and see if that meets your needs first.

As much as I think my sun gun is a cool toy that makes me feel really l33t, I think it belongs in a bodyshop more than a detailer`s arsenal.

imported_Denzil
04-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Yeah, I have the Brinkmann and I`m pretty happy with it. I have it along with the Infratech CM5300 and 1000 watt halogens so I`m pretty set for a while or even for life. The 3M Sun Gun is really a gamble but I think I`ll have a chat with my auto paint distributor to see if I can borrow one of theirs, if that`s possible at all. That would probably be the safest approach. I do admit it`s a lot of money but having a lot of light sources to get rid of those pesky holos/swirls/etc wouldn`t hurt (I guess).

imported_wagonproject
04-29-2009, 04:38 PM
I use the sun gun at times at work for color matching and looking at paint colors. I didn`t like it though for detailing. One of my paint helpers had a Brinkman that he let me take home and I liked that a lot better.

lostdaytomorrow
04-29-2009, 07:22 PM
Where are you guys getting your Brinkman`s? They used to have them at Academy, but not anymore. Mine went out on me and I`d prefer to go pick one up over ordering online.

BigAl3
04-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Where are you guys getting your Brinkman`s? They used to have them at Academy, but not anymore. Mine went out on me and I`d prefer to go pick one up over ordering online.

you can get them at pepboys for around $30...

stiffdogg06
04-29-2009, 07:58 PM

Phil over at Detailersdomain also has them.

What does everyone use to fine holograms? The brinkmann and halogens do a pretty good job of finding swirls and such...

I was thinking something like LED H.I.D.?