PDA

View Full Version : Need paint on fender to fade....to match

BikeFreak
04-26-2009, 12:16 PM
I know this is the opposite of what we do on this forum.... but.. I had my front drivers side fender replaced on my `black` 05 Ford F350 after a deer so conveniently ran into me at 60mph. It is a very close match when you look at it outside in the sun and probably most people will never notice. Once you get it in the garage under the halogens it is a different story. The original paint looks gray compared to the new paint. I just did a paint correction on the whole truck, Menzerna IP followed by FP and topped with S100. I was hoping it would bring the original paint closer to the fender, but no such luck.

I have a lifetime warranty on the work from the shop that did the repair, but I am positive they will give me the runaround if I take it back in. What I don`t want them to do is try and fade it into the door and hood being afraid it will look worse.

What I am planning on doing is just not waxing the fender every time I wax the rest of the truck and hope that it just catches up to the rest of the truck....

Any suggestions?? Thanks for your help.

Dan

Legacy
04-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Sorry to steal this thread, but this is for some of you paint pros out there. If the cc is clear how can fading on the clear coat fade the base coat? Can UV penetrate the cc and fade the base coat? As an example, let`s take a 2 yr. old car that has never been waxed. If you polished it out, would the top panels be the same as the side panels that don`t see as much UV?

David Fermani
04-26-2009, 12:57 PM
I have a lifetime warranty on the work from the shop that did the repair, but I am positive they will give me the runaround if I take it back in. What I don`t want them to do is try and fade it into the door and hood being afraid it will look worse.

Dan - That`s what you need them to do. Most shops think that black doesn`t need to be blended, but in actuality it clearly does. There`s many shades black and there`s really no way to panel paint match a part on the same plane(i.e. fender to door.

Was this an insurance claim? If so, contact your adjuster and have them pay for some blending.

wascallyrabbit
04-26-2009, 01:04 PM
you`ll need to take it back and have the fender blended it with the hood and door.

BikeFreak
04-26-2009, 01:25 PM
It was not an insurance claim since the repair was less than the deductible. I am just concerned that a few years down the road I will have paint that is acting funny on my hood and the door due to the blend, rather than just having a fender that is a bit darker. I could take it in and have them look at it and see what they can do. Since they aren`t making any money off this repair they are just gonna rush the job to get it out the door. If I wasn`t such an Autopian I may have never noticed the difference in color!!

harpafou2
04-26-2009, 01:42 PM
It was not an insurance claim since the repair was less than the deductible. I am just concerned that a few years down the road I will have paint that is acting funny on my hood and the door due to the blend, rather than just having a fender that is a bit darker. I could take it in and have them look at it and see what they can do. Since they aren`t making any money off this repair they are just gonna rush the job to get it out the door. If I wasn`t such an Autopian I may have never noticed the difference in color!!

This episode show an excellent example of what is needed to correctly blend paint and clear coat. I hope I can link this if not PM me and I will send it to you.

Full Episode Player | PowerblockTV (http://www.powerblocktv.com/site3/index.php/watch-full-episodes/ep?ep_num=TK2009-04&ep_show=TK)

motobuild
04-26-2009, 08:44 PM

Well...if you were such an "autopian" you probably would have asked about blending prior to dropping it off the the paint guys.

Blending will cost more than just a quick spray.