PDA

View Full Version : People`s Opinions of Metro PCS

David Fermani
04-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Thinking of getting my wife a Metro PCS phone plan and I`m wondering what input anyone could give. :down or :up

Only using voice, no text.

Chop
04-26-2009, 04:28 PM
My advice would be to get feedback from local people who haev the service in your area so that you get good info on coverage.

We used to have it in our are and liked the no contracts thing along with the flat fee for unlimited calling. Their phone selection seems to be low tier from all the major phone makers but there are a few good ones but you gotta pay for those.

We ended up changing providers after a while

But if your wife likes to talk on the phone a lot if would be great as your monthly will always be the same

David Fermani
04-26-2009, 04:30 PM
They told me I was able to use a non-Metro PCS phone on their network. I think we`ll keep our existing phone and get it swithed over.

V_Eight
04-26-2009, 05:55 PM
There is a reason it has the nickname "Metro POS".

imported_Jakerooni
04-26-2009, 06:02 PM
We looked into here and realized real quick what the scam was to it all. It`s very very limited coverage. (basically in city only and a couple corridors on the main highways) Once you leave the city you pay up to $.80 a minute. (mind you most are $.10 at the most) It`s really designed around low income people with shoddy credit. After a talk with the salesman about the actual coverage area`s and what happens when you go out of the area we decided not to even bother. I know a couple people on it and say their supposed $40/mth plan usually ends up around $130-$150/mth when all the charges come rolling in.

imported_themightytimmah
04-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Real cheap, as long as you never go north of WPB.

If you manage your phones carefully and have her take yours when shes going outside of the coverage area, it could be an easy way to save a few bucks. You can usually switch the phone over but IIRC Metro is GSM and Sprint/Verizon phones won`t work with it.

Chop
04-27-2009, 12:28 PM
It`s not really a scam. This company does not have national coverage so once they go outside of their tower coverage they need to pay other carriers for the network use thus the high price when you go out of range. I`m pretty sure they make some money on it too but I would not consider it a scam.

It`s great if their regional coverage is big like in Norhtern CA and you mostly talk within their area. If not your best bet is a national plan.

BTW in our area you can only use their phones

wytstang
04-28-2009, 02:15 PM
There is a reason it has the nickname "Metro POS".

+1 when I lived down there a lot of my friends used them. Most went running back to other carriers. T-mobil worked great down there for me.

David Fermani
04-15-2011, 11:51 PM
:bump: :bump: :bump: :bump:

Well......almost 2 years later and I thought I`d report back on this. Very satisfied. Especially @ $40/month with unlimited everything(talk/text/data). Getting a smart phone for her next. Drove from S. FL to Metro Detroit to Chicago and didn`t have service in only 2 areas. Very few dropped calls too. Highly recommended for anyone that`s looking for a cost effective cell phone plan.

BigAl3
04-16-2011, 12:36 AM
also to add, there`s virgin mobile as well. have never used them, but hear they use verizon towers...

Cell Phone Plans - Pay As You Go and Prepaid | Virgin Mobile (http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-phone-plans/beyond-talk-plans.jsp)

WAS
04-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Metro PCS, Virgin Mobile, Boost Mobile, they are ALL what`s called an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator). They use the existing infrastructure of one of the "big 3" cellular providers, and just offer their rate plans. Essentially, they`re just a reseller of someone else`s service. Coverage (that`s physical signal, not rate plan minute cost) will be 100% identical to whatever network provider they`re using. For example, if Metro PCS uses Sprint`s network, then the coverage will be identical whether you have a Metro PCS or Sprint phone.

Thomas Dekany
04-17-2011, 07:19 AM
They use sprint, it says right on the site.

also to add, there`s virgin mobile as well. have never used them, but hear they use verizon towers...

Cell Phone Plans - Pay As You Go and Prepaid | Virgin Mobile (http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-phone-plans/beyond-talk-plans.jsp)

BigAl3
04-17-2011, 12:02 PM
They use sprint, it says right on the site.

oops, my bad that`s what someone told me and i didn`t check out the site. one thing i noticed is the selection of phones is not very good, but i guess that`s part of the territory with them. i`ve been off a contract for over a year (t-mobile) and am trying to decide on where i want to go next...