PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Damage Help?

SR77
04-24-2009, 07:42 PM
Can anyone tell me if the damage in the picture below is fixable?

The chrome bumper you see had what looked like some minor pitting form sitting. So in the pass I have had good luck with Mothers Mag & Aluminum metal polish on chrome(I know it doesn`t say chrome on the can). So I put small dab on a terry applicator to see if it would bring back the shine and I was left with the oval spot you see in the picture. It is now very dull and has a little yellow/gold tint to it in the center. I then finished the rest of the bumper with the NXT metal polish which ended up cleaning it up nicely, but will not do a thing to this spot. I have tried applying the NXT with a few different applicators not wanting to make it worst but it is not helping either.

Is this spot repairable to bring it back to match the rest of the chrome or it is permanently damaged and would need to be rechromed? If it is fixable, what products and steps would you take to bring the shine back. I don`t know why the Mothers polish has worked for me on chrome in the past, but you can bet I will never reach for it again!!! thanks for the help

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/042708.jpg

BigJimZ28
04-24-2009, 07:48 PM
sorry but you buffed off the chrome

SR77
04-24-2009, 07:53 PM
Big Jim, I take it you are saying that it is permanent and will need to be rechromed? Cann`t believe that would happen so easily with a terry applicator and Mothers polish. I didn`t even apply barely and pressure.

BigJimZ28
04-24-2009, 08:01 PM
Big Jim, I take it you are saying that it is permanent and will need to be rechromed? Cann`t believe that would happen so easily with a terry applicator and Mothers polish. I didn`t even apply barely and pressure.

YEP

that "yellow" you see is the copper and nickel layers under the chrome:aww:

Bostonsfavson
04-24-2009, 08:22 PM
What kind of vehicle is that?

efnfast
04-25-2009, 12:20 AM
YEP

that "yellow" you see is the copper and nickel layers under the chrome:aww:

Makes sense, BUT I find it very difficult to believe that if it`s been electroplated on, some simple hand buffing could do that??? :think2

SR77
04-25-2009, 08:34 PM
thanks

I was expecting the worst but like efnfast said, i would not expect the mothers polish on a terry applicator with minimal pressure to go through like that so easily. I have used this process in the past with success on other chrome parts.

Is the process for chroming the same no matter who does it or is there a cheap way to chrome and a better more durable way?

Botsonsfavson, its the front bumper on a 1969 Camaro.

efnfast
04-25-2009, 08:42 PM
My understanding is there are many different ways to chrome. My stuff is always electroplated.....I`ve had stuff where if I accidentally whacked a wrench against it, the chrome just peeled right off.