PDA

View Full Version : Quick Woolite question

Pages : [1] 2

CLK350SteelGrey
04-24-2009, 05:37 PM
I want to give my interior a complete detail

I am confused by all the different kinds of woolite, can someone link me with the one that everyone on here uses for interior.

Thanks

BigJimZ28
04-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Woolite High Efficiency (http://www.fabriclink.com/Presentations/Woolite/highefficiency.html)

Scottwax
04-24-2009, 05:55 PM
That is the one I use. You can dillute it 15-20:1 and get excellent results.

CLK350SteelGrey
04-24-2009, 06:26 PM
shoot I already went out and got the non high efficiency one

do I have to wipe my dash and leather down with water after I use woolite?

and does 5 ounces of woolite with 25 oz of water sound good?

imported_Larry A
04-24-2009, 07:19 PM
I though that it was Woolite for fine fabrics, for hand washing. Thats what I use.

Chop
04-25-2009, 01:57 AM
shoot I already went out and got the non high efficiency one

do I have to wipe my dash and leather down with water after I use woolite?

and does 5 ounces of woolite with 25 oz of water sound good?

It shuold still work ok. The HE one shuold just make less suds as it is designed for HE machines.

your dilution sounds too heavy but you can try it on a test spot. I use 10-15 (ater) to 1 (woolite) ratios.

wfedwar
04-25-2009, 05:24 AM
The HE version is fairly new. The regular version has been used for years with good results.

tom p.
04-25-2009, 05:56 AM
The HE version is fairly new. The regular version has been used for years with good results.

Same here. While the HE version is preferable, it`s often hard to find.

dublifecrisis
04-25-2009, 06:55 AM
yes I would wipe down seats etc after the cleaning step.

tbgallant
04-28-2009, 08:08 AM
So I`m confused.. there seems to be differing opinions on the use of Woolite in car interiors. Some say it is great, others that it can be harmful.

What is the verdict?

I`m just planning on using it for vinyl/plastic.. not seats/carpet (plan on using Folex for that).

Is Woolite HE better than an APC like Simple Green (both diluted obviously)? I want something that cleans grim/grease reasonbly well (maybe a higher concentration of APC or Woolite for touger spots) but will NOT harm plastics vinyl?

Lastly, what is the reccomended application method for these two options; a bucket and sponge/MF towel or spray bottle and damp MF towel?

Really appreciate somebody setting me straight.

Tim

stiffdogg06
04-28-2009, 08:14 AM
So I`m confused.. there seems to be differing opinions on the use of Woolite in car interiors. Some say it is great, others that it can be harmful.

What is the verdict?

I`m just planning on using it for vinyl/plastic.. not seats/carpet (plan on using Folex for that).

Is Woolite HE better than an APC like Simple Green (both diluted obviously)? I want something that cleans grim/grease reasonbly well (maybe a higher concentration of APC or Woolite for touger spots) but will NOT harm plastics vinyl?

Lastly, what is the reccomended application method for these two options; a bucket and sponge/MF towel or spray bottle and damp MF towel?

Really appreciate somebody setting me straight.

Tim

Where have you heard it was harmful?

jfelbab
04-28-2009, 08:43 AM
I used Woolite for years and it has never caused any damage. I prefer the original as opposed to the HE as I like to see the lather when cleaning leather. I mix up two solutions, one strong (1:5) and one gentle (1:10) dilution. I find the cleaning ability similar to the Leather Masters "Strong" and "Soft" cleaner products respectively.

I clean a section at a time by adding the cleaning solution to a foam applicator and working up a foamy lather then scrubbing the leather. I wipe up the residue with clean and moist MF towels. I rewipe the area with another clean, moist mf to insure complete removal of any detergent. I then buff dry with another clean and dry mf.

After cleaning and drying, (I usually wait 30 minutes after cleaning) I apply Leather Masters Protection Cream. This product dries and doesn`t leave an oily surface to attract and hold on to dust and dirt like many conditioning products do.

The only cautions I would have:

• don`t overly wet the leather

• remove all traces of the detergent after cleaning

• be sure you know what type of leather you are working on

• use less moisture on perforated leathers.

tbgallant
04-28-2009, 08:53 AM
http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/85192-woolite-problem.html

This is the kind of discussion I`m talking about (see #11).

I`m not so much concerned about leather (though I guess if it is fine for leather is is fine for plastic/vinyl).

The concern seems to be directed at using it on seats/carpet but this `brightener` stuff is concerning for vinyl/plastic as well . Also if it leaves some of the `detergent` behind won`t this build up and cause problems later on.

It sure seems like most folks have used it with no problems and only a few provide warnings against it.

Tim

finalfinish
04-28-2009, 09:09 AM
go open a lexus owners manual... it says to specifically use this to clean the leather

tbgallant
04-28-2009, 09:12 AM
I can`t post a link.. because I am a newbie. Basically I`ve read that because it has lots of detergent even really diluted it will leave a residue (on carpet specifically). Maybe this isn`t a concern on vinyl/plastics.

I`m not so much concerned about leather (though I guess if it is fine for leather is is fine for plastic/vinyl).

The concern seems to be directed at using it on seats/carpet but this `brightener` stuff is concerning for vinyl/plastic as well . Also if it leaves some of the `detergent` behind won`t this build up and cause problems later on.

It sure seems like most folks have used it with no problems and only a few provide warnings against it.

Tim