PDA

View Full Version : Hard water spot removal

yachtfisher
04-23-2009, 07:47 AM
Ok guys I wannted to see what you use for stuborn water spots on marine windows. Have you ever found any that could not be removed ?

I had a boat (sal````er) recently that I could not remove the spots, almost like the glass was etched.

I tried a razor blade and glass cleaner as a lube for scraping // lime away / and compound on a foam pad.

The windows look super good and clear from the inside which was a huge improvement but you can still see from the right agle on the outside, and quite noticable at that

Garry Dean
04-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Try white venegar diluted with water. If that doesnt work you might try to polish it out.

yachtfisher
04-24-2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks on the vinigar

What would you use if you were going to polish it out ?

process and product ?

Thanks Premium

Garry Dean
04-25-2009, 08:59 PM
What polishes do you have? I would try the least aggressive method first. Do you have a PC or a Rotary?

yanks_178
04-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Toilet bowel cleaner has worked wonderful for me on water spots.

Greg Nichols
04-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Hard water is Alkaline (base) so you need to use Acids to neutralize them. If etching has occurred polishing is the next course. I remember that Lake county makes a glass polishing kit, with Cerium Oxide as the media, that should help as a last resort.

Cheers,

GREG

yachtfisher
04-30-2009, 07:39 AM
Thanks guys,

Premium: have all the stuff, I tried some Klasse Aio (reduced spots / roughness) tried finess it did about the same. The windows look much clearer but you can still see the water marks.

Thanks