PDA

View Full Version : Newbie seeking some advice before purchase/detail

stook2001
04-22-2009, 10:48 PM
I`ve spent a couple of weeks reading/researching, etc. These forums are a fantastic resource! Before buying anything else, I wanted to seek some advice on specific product selection and application process.

I will be primarily working on my `04 Java Black Subaru WRX STi (metallic gold flake). I am the original owner and I must admit that the paint has had an abused life. The front end is heavily stone chipped. There are intense swirls and hazing on all panels. There is some bird bomb damage which may not be fully repairable. There are deep scratches (ie. subtly visible from a few feet away although base paint unaffected). The car is rough, not garaged, not frequently washed, daily driver in all weather conditions, etc. It is honestly embarrassing, particularly since I personally maintain the car mechanically and invest a lot of time into it.

I`ve taken an interest in turning things around and getting the car cleaned up and looking spiffier. I have relatively low expectations considering the damage. Nonetheless, I am sure it can be improved significantly.

I have already purchased a used Porter Cable 7336 but I need pretty much everything else --- soup to nuts.

Here is my list so far. I would very much appreciate feedback. Budget is limited. Ideally, I`d like to keep it under $150 for products but this can be stretched some.

Washing:

1) Walmart Sheepskin Mitt - $5

2) Dual 5 gallon buckets - $10

3) Grit Guard - $10

4) Soap - Meguiars Gold Class (Better options?) - $10

Cutting:

1) Meguiars 105 - 12oz Sampler (will this be enough?) - $10

2) 5.5" Lake Country CCS 5.5" Orange Pads (3) - $20

Should I be considering the purple foam pads? 4" pads instead of the 5.5"? Meguiars 95 instead?

Polishing:

1) Meguiars 205 - 12oz Sampler (will this be enough?) - $12

2) 5.5" Lake Country Low Profile Flat 5.5" White Pads (3) - $15

Sealant (priority is **long term durability** and ease of application):

Unsure here - considering the following options and leaning towards the 1000P at the moment based upon Superbee`s durability feedback. I can be easily swayed - particularly by durability and, less importantly, if one of these is likely to look the best on an imperfect black metallic finish.

Duragloss 105 - $10

Collinite 476 - $15

Optimum Optiseal - $25

FinishKare1 1000P - $15

I know that I need Claybar, Microfiber towels, Pad Cleaner, and a wipe for between stages (?). Also might need a 6-7" pad for machine application of the sealant. Not sure what are the best value options for these remaining products. Also, should I be considering the consumer Meguiars compounds? How will I know when I have sufficiently completed each stage on a particular part of the panel if the compound is non-diminishing? Do I need anything to prep the surface before the waxes/sealants? Do I need a 3rd stage between the 205 and the wax? Some threads/posts suggest that the 205 finishes down by itself, others I have seen suggesting a finer polish stage before waxing.

Thanks very much for your feedback! Looking forward to getting my orders in. Sorry in advance for the excessively long post. ;)

stook2001
04-23-2009, 10:41 AM
bumping due to 1st post delay...

MrEprize
04-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Washing:

The Proline grout sponges from Lowes are supposed to be very good for $2

The Optimum Car wash is also very good for follow up washes.

Regular Plain nothing added Dawn Dishwashing Soap is good for a fresh start.

For the compound and Polish I would get Optimum Products like Optimum Compound II and Polyseal. The Optimum products are great and easy to learn with.

I also find Collinite 885 to work well and is affordable.

Lake Country pads are great, I would get a Cutting and Polishing pad though. Maybe get 1 of each Yellow, Orange and White. In addition get a set of 4" pads when you can afford them, they are handy for small spots and seem to cut better on trouble areas.

The other products I have not tried so I will not offer advice on them.

To sum up: Optimum blah blah Optimum blah blah Optimum :P j/k

Good Luck!

MrEprize
04-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Follow up:

Just saw this post about a good sale, you could get some of these pads save some $$.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/118112-great-clearance-deals-danase-esp-1z.html

stook2001
04-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks - so Optimum instead of Meguiars? Am I incorrect in thinking that I get better cutting power with the 105 and the Porter Cable?

Also, thanks for the Danase link...

MrEprize
04-23-2009, 03:14 PM
I have never used M105 before maybe the next guy can answer that one.

If you get a yellow and orange pad, I think you would have your cutting options covered. With the PC just speed it up a little and apply more pressure to cut harder\faster. I do this with Optimum Compound and it works well.

One of the big reasons I like the Optimum products is that they do not seem to stain and they generate almost no dust. I found both of those attributes to be great! You can really get used to the no dusting especially when using a PC. Makes for easy cleanup!