PDA

View Full Version : Another ONR Question

Pages : [1] 2

cptzippy
04-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Ok, so I`m oh so close to ordering some Optimum No Rinse but just can`t push the button. So, help me by answering a couple of questions :think2

1. Just how dirty a car can you use it on? Looks like from the threads I`ve been pouring over it can be REALLY dirty?

2. How does the risk of swirling/micromarring compare to 2 bucket or other techniques?

TIA,

Tony

AeroCleanse
04-22-2009, 09:01 PM
Ok, so I`m oh so close to ordering some Optimum No Rinse but just can`t push the button. So, help me by answering a couple of questions :think2

1. Just how dirty a car can you use it on? Looks like from the threads I`ve been pouring over it can be REALLY dirty?

2. How does the risk of swirling/micromarring compare to 2 bucket or other techniques?

TIA,

Tony

Very very dirty. Well you can also use ONR with a 2 bucket method. I`ve NEVER had any issues using ONR and micromarring when done correctly.

MBurnickas
04-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Press the order button, it`s good stuff.

cptzippy
04-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Building on AeroCleanse`s answer - can it be done incorrectly to cause micromarring?

Legacy
04-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Building on AeroCleanse`s answer - can it be done incorrectly to cause micromarring?

If it`s really dirty, that is, mud caked to the side panles, I would do a traditional wash. If it`s really soiled, you can use a pump spray bottle and presoak with ONR (QD strength). What color is your car?

cptzippy
04-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Mine is British Racing Green (Mini Cooper).

Hers is Nimbus Grey (Acura)

MBurnickas
04-22-2009, 09:18 PM
I use traditional wash when it`s really dirty too. ONR has good lubricity, that is all you can ask for when combating micro marring.

Scottwax
04-22-2009, 09:31 PM

Any wash method done incorrectly can cause marring. Used as directed, and assuming you are using quality wash medium and MF drying towels, you shouldn`t have any problems.

cptzippy
04-22-2009, 09:44 PM
Well, I did it. Just hit the buy button.

So here`s the plan:

1 Bucket with grit guard most of the time with 2 gallons distilled water (we have hard water - is this necessary?)

2 Don`t have a grout sponge so I can choose between a sheep skin mitt and griot`s mf wash pads

3 first dry pass with monster fluffy

4 second dry pass with waffle weave (prima and griots available)

Any comments on this?

Bostonsfavson
04-22-2009, 09:49 PM

So here`s the plan:

1 Bucket with grit guard most of the time with 2 gallons distilled water (we have hard water - is this necessary?)

2 Don`t have a grout sponge so I can choose between a sheep skin mitt and griot`s mf wash pads

Any comments on this?

If you have distilled water readily available, great. Here in Vegas, we have *rock hard* water. It`s crazy. Having said that, I haven`t had any issues using ONR with it, which is another reason why ONR is such a great product.

Legacy
04-22-2009, 09:50 PM

So here`s the plan:

Any comments on this?ONR will sofen your water and you do not let it sit, so it should not spot your paint. I would use the ww drying towel first and then use your MF perferably with a QD.

FordFan2009
04-22-2009, 10:20 PM
I too was skepticle about the use of ONR. I just used it for the first time on staurday last weekend. I used the 2 bucket method with grit gaurd and a lowes GS and a ww mf towel to dry and mf to buff. It was on metallic navy blue paint. I didn`t induce any marring but the wash didn`t quite feel right to me. My rinse bucket ended up way too full for one and its just very different feeling. Yesterday I used ONR again but modified my method by only using one bucket with grit guard, and using ONR in QD strength to spray each panel before wash. This went amazingly well. The grout sponge glided over the finish like butter and it picked up the dirt like mad. The vehicle was white and moderately dirty so I was able to really see what I was doing. All the dirt released each time i redipped and scrubbed on the GG. I felt that this method of washing left the car amazingly clean and I have to say, I believe using ONR leaves you with a better more thorough safer wash than the traditional method. ONR made a believer out of me and I don`t think I will be going for the hose anytime soon. Try it out, try different methods of using it and find which way works for you.

Shawn F.
04-22-2009, 11:17 PM
I have done very dirty vehicles with ONR. You have to remember though, you may have to go over the vehicle a few times with a very dirty car. Some people try to hit the whole thing with ONE hit and think it`s done and go to dry the vehicle and find that their drying towel turns brown or black due to dirt. You may have to hit the panel up more than once, sometimes 3 times but it will leave the vehicle looking better than a plain traditional wash that is for sure. With hard water or well water, add an extra cap full or two to the water to help soften it up some and have better lubrication. I do the two bucket method and even a spray bottle. I hit it with the two bucket method and then one more time by spraying it down with ONR and Optimum Instand Detailer mix and then hit the majority of the water to dry down and then finish dry by using Optimum Spray wax. You will wash and wax the vehicle in just two steps, sometimes three if it`s very dirty. Once your done you have less clean up, no hoses and pressure washers to use, no run off, no fuel needed (saves some on fuel cost) and quicker once you do it a few times. When I first got ONR I was very slow at it because I took my time and was worried it would scratch the paint and would not work. After a few times I was not skeptical over it anymore and very surprised. It`s my main go to product now unless I am doing a 4x4 vehicle that just got back from a off road trip. :)

Good luck and keep us posted on how well it worked out for you!

BIOLINK
04-23-2009, 05:06 AM
Very very dirty. Well you can also use ONR with a 2 bucket method. I`ve NEVER had any issues using ONR and micromarring when done correctly.

I use two buckets with ONR and have had no issues. I love it. :spot

So here`s the plan:

Any comments on this?

:bestwish You`ve got a good plan. :xyxthumbs

MrCLRider
04-23-2009, 06:04 AM
also, do not forget it makes an excellent clay lube, so much lubrication, and it makes a great quick detailer also...depending on the size bottles using, a 32 oz bottle of ONR goes along way, and replaces other products that you will no longer need to worry about paying for, it basically pays for itself the first time you use it if you are making a QD and a clay lube...