PDA

View Full Version : Cicago electric powel tools polisher?

flat4
04-22-2009, 07:30 PM
I`ve been detailing for about a year, all by hand. My dad gave me a brand new Chicago Electric Power Tools 7" Electric Sander/Polisher that he bought a year and a half ago. It`s never been used and came with two pads. I want to try it out but it`s not a random orbital so i`m scared i`ll burn the paint. I really just want to apply and remove polish and wax to the car right now. Eventually i`d like to move up to paint correction. SO my question is, is this an ok polisher to use for the first time?

jking
04-22-2009, 07:40 PM
I have one and I hate it. It smells like the motor is burning up if you use it for only a short period of time. I am looking at the Vector for $79.99 and will be buying it as soon as I can afford the pads to go with it. I use the Chicago to remove some deeper scratches, but for an overall job it is useless.(IMO)

flat4
04-22-2009, 07:44 PM
so is it worth learning on before moving onto a more expensive buffer? I`ve heard some good reviews on it so i`m suprised to hear you say that.

eyezack87
04-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Get a test panel to practice on before taking it to your paint. Just be warned that some of those things are faulty, while others are not ;)

Eliot Ness
04-23-2009, 12:52 PM
At the least I`d buy a good Backing Plate and some decent pads to use. It takes the standard rotary 5/8" Backing Plate.

The main thing you`ll notice on these is the speed control isn`t the best, but they aren`t bad to practice on. Below is a link to a very good rotary guide you might want to read:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/images/misc/rotarypolishing.pdf

flat4
04-23-2009, 06:06 PM
thanks guys for all the help and the link, it`s just what i was looking for

superchargedg
04-23-2009, 07:35 PM
I have had one for over 2 years and luckily for me it still works fine.....but i use the flex 3401 a whole lot more then i use this rotary.

LoiG37
04-24-2009, 08:37 PM
I have one of this too, and I use it mainly for headlight restoration.

Flawless Image
04-24-2009, 09:00 PM
is it this one? if so, I use mine to apply my wax at low speeds.. I know its not the best technique, but it works for now..

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj41/beaurogel81/050.jpg