PDA

View Full Version : wolfgang sm & pb polish

joe.p
10-27-2005, 10:34 AM
i`m doing a small portion on the trunck of my 71 olds cutlass . i made 3 passes with wg swirl-rem and already there`s a big difference. can i make a couple passes with pb polish to add to one of the steps or would this be over kill?

Beemerboy
10-27-2005, 10:46 AM
A tad over kill but the PP will bring out more luster on that car...is that SS paint or have you repainted it?

joe.p
10-27-2005, 10:49 AM
the paint is original i had the car stored with a cover at my mom`s garage for the last ten years, i brought the car to my house last week. a lot of surface dust on the paint marring and swirls.

Beemerboy
10-27-2005, 11:30 AM
Then go with the PP on single stage that will bring out more luster and remove more of the swrils and marring

joe.p
10-27-2005, 11:35 AM
Hi Beemer,

i taped off a small section and most if not all of the defects are removed i used the wg x3 and now i see tiny dots in the paint and its not from any product that was left behind. i`m gonna try and down load some pics for you to see if you won`t mind. i appreciate you taking the time to help. THANK YOU

Beemerboy
10-27-2005, 11:45 AM
no problem

joe.p
10-28-2005, 01:26 AM
i tried to put some pics up tonight through the photo gallery
and still can`t get them to load, any one having the same problem?

joe.p
11-05-2005, 10:25 AM
here are some pics of 71 olds. i washed it when i brought home with megs nxt the shine that you see is from the blue coral that was used over 20 yrs ago and was still beading.

i did a small section on the trunk with WG swirl remover x 3 and i noticed the white dots on the trunk up close it looks like the pigment in the paint. do you know what caused it and how i can prevent this from happening when i detail the whole car.

CharlesW
11-05-2005, 10:32 AM
i tried to put some pics up tonight through the photo gallery
and still can`t get them to load, any one having the same problem?Unfortunately, it is a very common problem. Some can upload pictures to the gallery, but most of us cannot.
It is really frustrating when you are the adminstrator of the gallery and can`t upload your own pictures. :)

Most people are doing what you did, just posting them in a thread. Not the same, but better than nothing.

FWIW, Dwayne has the gallery problems on his list of to do items.

Charles

joe.p
11-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the update charles.

Antonio Waxer
11-05-2005, 02:17 PM
There is a good chance that there was aluminum used to create that color, I really don`t recall that being an original GM color, check the paint code under the hood with a local paint shop to be sure. If it is aluminum in the paint as I suspect, then there is little that can be done to stop it from being further exposed as you continue to polish through layers of paint. You may want to consider not polishing it too much, just enough to bring out a clear smooth finish, claying it, and then putting on some wax or sealant on.

joe.p
11-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Antonio your pretty good . i don`t think the 71 olds came in that color. when the car was purchased new my uncle ordered the paint that came on the olds 98 or one of the other oldsmobiles.

i didn`t notice any pigment until the 3rd pass with the wg swill rem. i kept going because the swirls & marring on the finish, shined like glass but then i ended up with another head ache.