PDA

View Full Version : Great news for detailers from optimum

Pages : [1] 2

reparebrise
04-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Optimum has announced the arrival of it`s new permanent coating. Congratulations Dr. G!

Opti-Coat Ready For Release!! - Optimum Forum (http://optimumforums.org/index.php?showtopic=999&hl=)

David Fermani
04-21-2009, 08:33 PM
So now they`re marketing it as a "permanant" coating? I thought the claim was 2-3 years?

Anthony O.
04-22-2009, 07:36 AM
Here`s hoping I don`t get banned again:dance But I`ll state this to only help in the clearing up the meaning of "permanent".

I have been told that within the car product industry if you had a protectant that lasted a year or more it would be considered permanent while many would say that it is really "semi-permanent" but then using that line of reasoning the paint itself would be "semi-permanent" for it can wear off or even be removed.

Same goes for leather, vinyl, pinstripes, etc. If a company makes a product then that can last up to 3 years or more then using the word "permanent" would seem to fit well even though it can be removed or eventually wear away.

Most paint shops that I know only guarantee the paint jobs for a limited time not for the life of the car even though they consider the paint to be "permanent".

When I describe the product to people I say it`s "semi-permanent" unless I`m talking about it in greater depth where I can better explain "permanent".

Anthony

imported_Jakerooni
04-22-2009, 07:58 AM
This is the Optimum "X" that only certian select few were able to test out for the last year or so correct? Heard some decent reviews on it so far

reparebrise
04-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Sorry permanent was my bad, should have stated long lasting

MBurnickas
04-22-2009, 10:39 PM
How much is it?

imported_Conan777
06-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Does anyone have some pictures of this stuff in action? What is so special about it?longevity only? or is it similiar to applying an additional layer of clearcoat?

POPPAJ
06-03-2009, 06:22 AM
I`ll have to give this product some thought. Looks like it could be a winner for the high end pros, but I`d miss my quiet time doing a full correction twice a year on the family vehicles. Does sound interesting as a long lasting plastic protectant though.

tom p.
06-03-2009, 07:18 AM
Anthony, is this going to be a big $$$ product? I don`t see it on their website.

What would the typical preparatory steps be prior to applicaiton of Opti-Coat?

Thx.

imported_JoshVette
06-03-2009, 10:44 AM
So what exactly will it protect against??

Just environmental/polution/UV damage like any other wax/sealant or against swirls and more physical abrasions?

What standards did you use in measuring the protection over such a long duration? Just beading or slickness or something more??

Seriously think these questions should be answered with the type of claims being made.

If you`re going to market it to the "pros" then you need to be prepared to answer the questions the "pros" ask.

Thanks,

Josh

Anthony O.
06-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Eh......I need to be careful the way I reply here so please understand that, I don`t want to come off as a sales guy here.

Think of Opti-Coat as a polymer sealant on mega-steroids. It has all the properties of a sealant but with extended durability, up to 3 or more years.

The testing was done over normal washing, with no additives such as spray waxes, qd`s or anything extra in the form of paste waxes, sealants, etc. I used rubbing alcohol to try and remove it but it had no effect. Even polishing took several passes before it would fully remove areas of the product that had streaked. This was using a rotary, FPII and a polishing pad. Some have also ran their cars through car washes many times with no loss of beading and the unique way it sheds water.

Some testers have reported that it does add to the film thickness and one painter had difficulty repainting a car we had it on because he only scuffed the paint up and did not fully sand it down.

I`m not positive about the marring issue but some tester have stated it does reduce marring.....this though may be seen as subjective and of course washing and drying habits will effect how it looks and also lasts.

As I noted previously the term "permanent" can be descriptive of anything that lasts a year or more. Even paint or clear coat itself is not truly permanent as it can be polished off, wear off, etc.

As soon as I clear off my camera card I`ll put up a few pictures of a Porsche we just did with the coating.

Anthony

reparebrise
06-04-2009, 04:43 AM
For some pics go here

Opti-Coat Ready For Release!! - Optimum Forum (http://optimumforums.org/index.php?showtopic=999&st=15)

imported_JoshVette
06-04-2009, 04:22 PM
I read that release thread and to be quite honest, pics just don`t mean much to me when someone is really trying to promote a product.... (no offense)

I only ask these questions cause I`m interested in the product.

I would hate to invest the money and then test it by my own standards and only see 4-6 months protection after seeing the 1-2+ years claims that are being made.

I`ve tried out other products that were all hyped up just to be let down in the end by the claims not being supported by my own findings, so I`m going to ask tough questions if I can and challenge the findings the best I know how.

There`s so many factors and variables over 2-3 years that I find it very hard to believe something will last that long without wearing down significantly. I`ve seen clear coats not last that long on some vehicles.....

....over the years we`ve all learned to understand when something sounds too good to be true it usually is....

Hope you don`t mind the questioning.

Josh

reparebrise
06-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Josh

Questions are always good things, and a successful business person must ask questions about everything, and keep questioning and pushing to stay ahead of the competition. There is a cost to all advancement, and in my case testing is a very big cost, but also gets me great gains, and the cost to test the product is minimal, you just need to buy some and apply. Very true that pictures do not tell the whole story, it has to be seen to be believed, also the customers reactions need to be experienced, even on a showroom new car the change is perceptible.

I do not sell the Opti-Coat, nor promote it, it`s just that in my testing I have discovered this to be unlike any other product I have ever used, and is well worth talking about(look at the vast multitude of ONR threads, in time this should be as loved if not more.

For durability it is not affected by chemicals such as alcohol or prep sol, not to mention soaps. We have a customers truck coated with the product, and now over 100 thousand miles, and the coating is still going strong, resisting such things as bird bombs and a front full of insects(there is minimal etching, but much less than a non treated surface).

For standards my testing involves beading, resistance to particle adhesion(it does not get as loaded as non treated surfaces, almost feeling like it has been clayed , while next to it it feels like sandpaper), gloss and film thickness. Upon installation we get 2-4 microns of film build, and the exact spot is measured on a regular basis, so far no reduction in thickness. For gloss it has retained it`s gloss (not a subjective reading but with a gloss scale) and the adjacent panel has faded (Imron paint, not base clear), showing to me that it provides good UV protection as well.

imported_JoshVette
06-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the info and not getting offended. I like to ask tons of questions with these kinds of things.

Josh