PDA

View Full Version : Inconspicuous area?

Pages : [1] 2

citizen arcane
04-21-2009, 06:36 PM
It has been recommended to test polishes in an inconspicuous area. The question is: where would this be on most cars?

BigJimZ28
04-21-2009, 06:41 PM
why ?

who recommended that?

citizen arcane
04-21-2009, 07:05 PM
Big Jim:

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee294/rynh_2007/anonstonespictures.jpg

Vintage
04-21-2009, 07:05 PM
It has been recommended to test polishes in an inconspicuous area. The question is: where would this be on most cars?

door jambs? :think2

BigJimZ28
04-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Big Jim:

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee294/rynh_2007/anonstonespictures.jpg

OK?

so that explains the importance of a test spot

and to not keep doing something that is not working

IMO the inconspicuous are thing is to test something

that may cause permanet damage

like a strong carpet cleaner you you check under the seat

to check for carpet color removal ect.

I don`t see the point for a polish

Dsoto87
04-21-2009, 07:20 PM
True bigjim. You can`t make the paint any worse if you know the capabilities of your products and use the "least agressive first" method.

Like was said, that picture just shows you how important a TEST spot is. Don`t do the whole car THEN check your work. Do a spot and check the results. If they`re satisfactory then and only then do the rest of the car

citizen arcane
04-21-2009, 07:30 PM
I`m thinking a lower vertical body panel where lighting from my halogens are best. Sorry, just wanted to confirm without all the drama and learn from those more experienced.

Alphy
04-22-2009, 01:17 AM
wow....that pic makes me fearful of trying the clay kit and polish I have on the way :scared:

Accumulator
04-22-2009, 10:31 AM
Eh..I`ve probably used that term in this context and now that I`m thinking about it, well....uhm...uh-oh :o I guess it`s more a case of picking an area where you can clearly see if things are going wrong and can easily correct a mistake if it happens.

Honestly, if I were concerned about something going *seriously* wrong I wouldn`t try it.

Alphy- IIRC that pic shows what happens when somebody uses Meg`s M105 with zero intelligence applied to the process.

door jambs?

Nah...lots of doorjam areas aren`t clearcoated, even on some high-end vehicles. And the paint that *is* there can be *VERY* thin, and I mean so thin you gotta be very careful (gee, guess how I know :o ). Yeah, I do correct/level those areas but I wouldn`t do it regularly and/or use it for a test spot.

craigdt
04-22-2009, 10:46 AM
I think that was the UC by hand thread, wasnt it?

Accumulator
04-22-2009, 10:57 AM
I think that was the UC by hand thread, wasnt it?

I think that`s right :think:

imported_Ivan Rajic
04-22-2009, 12:19 PM
Manufacturers have to recommend this for liability purposes, but as Jim said polishes shouldn`t be a problem since Accum nailed it about M105 and intelligence on the car above... I`d personally try it on a bumper or nosepanel as they can be repainted easily

Accumulator
04-22-2009, 04:59 PM
.. I`d personally try it on a bumper or nosepanel as they can be repainted easily

I think I`d rather experiment on a *metal* panel...sometimes bumpercovers/etc. are painted with something very different from the paint on the rest of the car; I hear some manufacturers have them delievered to the factory already painted (from the company that molds the plastic pieces), which helps explain why the paint often doesn`t match that on the rest of the vehicle.

Tephra
04-22-2009, 05:17 PM
inside one of the door jambs... probably the least used door if your worried :)

Accumulator
04-22-2009, 05:30 PM
inside one of the door jambs... probably the least used door if your worried :)

Guessing you might`ve missed my earlier post:

Nah...lots of doorjam areas aren`t clearcoated, even on some high-end vehicles. And the paint that *is* there can be *VERY* thin, and I mean so thin you gotta be very careful (gee, guess how I know ). Yeah, I do correct/level those areas but I wouldn`t do it regularly and/or use it for a test spot.