PDA

View Full Version : UPGP Application Question

tmg19103
04-21-2009, 12:41 AM
Just got my car back from a detailer. He cut and polished and then I applied one coat of UPGP at his shop. Car looks great.

Now I want to put three more coats of UPGP on to give it that "pop" as well as added protection.

Now that all the scratches have been buffed out, I am being very careful to preserve the clean looking paint job.

I notice that even after a day in my garage, there is a really light layer of dust noticable on my black car.

So, I am concerned that if I let the car sit in my garage for three straight days (I have another car I can drive those days) and apply a layer of UPGP each day as it needs time between applications to cure that this fine dust will cause micro-marring.

Am I being too concerned, or should I just apply a layer fo UPGP each week right after a wash? I`d prefer to crank this out over three days, but won`t if I will get micro-marring.

Note I plan to properly hand wash it again before the three applications and it will just sit in my garage.

spamlova
04-21-2009, 12:50 AM
i`d just do a ONR wash after the cure if you *want* to do it in that time frame. UPGP enhances marring, so don`t chance it.

wascallyrabbit
04-21-2009, 05:48 AM
if you`ve not driven the car on the open road you use a qd (some like the cali. car duster) to remove the light dust. be sure that you use a mf that passes the cd test before using it on your car.

MrCLRider
04-21-2009, 05:54 AM
if it is just a light dusting, I have found that the Store brands of Swiffer Dusters do very well. Fibers are ultra soft. Might be a bit small, but I can dust it all off pretty fast now.

SuperBee364
04-21-2009, 07:26 AM
i`d just do a ONR wash after the cure if you *want* to do it in that time frame. UPGP enhances marring, so don`t chance it.

Huge +1.

*Anytrhing* on your paint (even just settling dust) is *abrasive*. It`s gonna swirl/mar your paint unless you remove it in a proper manner. Do a good ONR wash before you put on another UPGP coat. UPGP looks very good at three coats.

backwoods_lex
04-21-2009, 07:35 AM
^What he said. An ONR wash with very light dust can be done in only about 5-10 minutes. After paying a pro (good choice by the way) you don`t want to use the cali duster and most people on autopia don`t QD anymore except after washing. Good luck!

Do you own any quality microfibers?

tmg19103
04-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the advice. I would never use a duster on the car. I`ll do an ONR before each application. For the UPGP I apply it with the mrcro fiber spunge/bar that comes with it and I just broke out a brand new one and washed it before the first application after the detail.