PDA

View Full Version : Smudges or Holograms?

taeng
04-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Saturday seemed like the endless day of polishing. I clayed the car with Meg`s professional blue clay. Using my PC orange pad w/ Menz. IP and Megs 105. I kept getting these smudges that wouldn`t go away. Every time I would go to remove the polish these smudes/holograms would appear. It would be like rainbowish in color and see if the light. I tried all kinds of microfiber towels thinking that might be the culprit. Every combo I tried ended in the same results. This also happened during my last detail before also, but left it alone b/c it was to cold to attempt to correct it. I spent about 9hrs total from clay to polishing. The only thing I see that is different is the clay. Could the Meg`s clay do this? How can I correct this? I washed after claying before polishing also. This is such a drag b/c 9hrs I should be done with the whole process. Please help me out!

Thanks

Dsoto87
04-20-2009, 03:47 PM
You probably didn`t work IP/105 long enough. You can`t get holograms in the traditonal sense with a DA.

It won`t wipe away because its marring.

The ip needs to be fully broken down and the 105 may be too agressive w/orange.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
04-20-2009, 03:48 PM
carrier oils/lubes from the polish... another reason for ipa wipe downs.. ipa wipe downs will remove these lubes which in addition to creating what you saw, also act as unintentional fillers so getting them off your paint with an ipa wipedown ensures you really removed the defects

taeng
04-20-2009, 04:10 PM
what is ipa wipe down? Where Could I get it?

SuperBee364
04-20-2009, 04:14 PM
carrier oils/lubes from the polish... another reason for ipa wipe downs.. ipa wipe downs will remove these lubes which in addition to creating what you saw, also act as unintentional fillers so getting them off your paint with an ipa wipedown ensures you really removed the defects

+1.

IPA is Isopropyl Alcohol. You can get it at your local pharmacy in either 70% or 91% concentrations. Some guys use it straight, others cut it 50/50 with distilled water. I do both. :)

If you decided to use it full strength, you might want to be careful that it doesn`t get on any trim or rubber, as it has a tendency to dry it out.

taeng
04-20-2009, 04:23 PM
So I would pour it into a spray bottle and wipe down the car as if it was QD? Does it matter that I put some red moose glaze on already? I can`t tell if it was completely removed from the glaze b/c the sun died down.

I think I`ll just wipe it down with some of that IPA then reglaze the car b/c I don`t want to risk it. I spent this much time already might as well just do it to be safe.

taeng
04-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Could it remove the red moose glaze?

gtpaul
04-20-2009, 04:44 PM
It will remove the glaze.

How thick are you putting on the RMG?

Bostonsfavson
04-20-2009, 04:46 PM
You can`t get holograms in the traditonal sense with a DA.

Really? .

jam
04-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Maybe it`s caused by the orange pad marring the surface?

taeng
04-20-2009, 04:51 PM
I put like a X on the back of a red pad. applying using speed 3 covering I would say a panel like the top part of the door. Taking me lets say 3 X`s for the hood. How thick should I be applying it?

I was going to use collinite 845 ontop of the glaze but I was reading it was bad to use it on top of any oils. I wanted the durability as my car is outside 24/7. I guess I`ll just use my P21S 100% carnuba.

taeng
04-20-2009, 04:52 PM

I orginally started with a used orange, then a brand new one just to see the difference and nothing changed.

Bostonsfavson
04-20-2009, 05:12 PM

I can`t really speak to 105, but if used properly, IP and an orange pad should finish out near LSP ready. At the very least, there shouldn`t be any halos.

Dsoto87
04-20-2009, 05:36 PM
M105 on an orange pad will leave marring almost all the time. I can`t speak for IP but I`m sure if it wasn`t broken down properly it will leave marring also.

The marring left behind will almost look like halos.

It very well might be polishing oils but if he used RMG (which has light cleaner???) It should have cleaned any residue up right?

To the op...how long did you work each polish and did you ever step down to a less agressive pad?

taeng
04-20-2009, 06:08 PM
M105 on an orange pad will leave marring almost all the time. I can`t speak for IP but I`m sure if it wasn`t broken down properly it will leave marring also.

The marring left behind will almost look like halos.

It very well might be polishing oils but if he used RMG (which has light cleaner???) It should have cleaned any residue up right?

To the op...how long did you work each polish and did you ever step down to a less agressive pad?

I only used orange pads for polishing. Anything that was hit with 105 was followed by IP. I worked the product pretty good. I spread on speed 3 and work in with 6 3-4 passes then go over with speed 5 for 1-2 passes. RMG if im not mistaken has no cleaner.