PDA

View Full Version : Light2Med Marring Spiderwebbing on Soft Black Honda? Help

cpolly
04-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Hello Everyone,

I`ve been reading this forum for the past year and have found time and time again answers for all my problems -- so thank you for all the great posts you`ve all made!! I`m no professional detailer by any means. Anyhow I have an 08 civic w/ everyone`s favourite nighthawk black pearl paint that`s rediculously soft and shows every molecule of dust - and yet I still love the colour (has nice blue particles in the paint that really pop in the sun).

Essentially I have some light spiderwebbing and medium marring in a few places and am looking to correct this. I`m planning on purchasing a PC 7424 but am unsure of what combination of pads/product to use for this soft black paint. I`m worried about using a pad with too much cut.

Currently I have almost a full jug of Optimum Poli-Seal and some Clearkote`s CMW that I plan to use - but is this enough to correct these problems with the right usage of pads (which pads would that be?? - i`m thinking white/green to be on the safe side)? Should I be using another product before OPS as a cleaner/polisher like Optimum`s Polish II or Meg`s #83? And with what pads?

- and i`ll probably clay first (Ricardo`s clay)

Will post a picture of some of the more severe marring later (although still probably medium, it`s not deep). I was unable to catch a good picture of the light spiderwebbing.

Please let me know what products/pads you would use/recommend given the soft black paint (& that I`m a total newbie when it comes to using a PC).

Thank you in advance for any and all comments/suggestions/tips!!

EDIT: Here`s a picture --> http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1250/img0262tll.jpg

cpolly
04-19-2009, 04:22 PM
here`s a picture of the worst of it...

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1250/img0262tll.jpg

nighthawkcoupe
04-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Interested in what kind of answers you get- I have an accord with NBP paint and am new to detailing as well. I was thinking of going with white pad and Megs D151 (after clay). I`m interested in seeing what the experts have to say about it.

Envious Eric
04-19-2009, 05:02 PM
get the PC with lake country 5.5" orange, white, blue pads

use a polish like 83 then 80, then cmw

use speed 6 only! anything less and you will be wasting your time!

1/2 overlapping passes and you will be good to go in about 4-6 hours depending on how perfected you want to get it...

cpolly
04-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Why the 5.5" pads vs 6.5"? and is the OPS not useful for any part of this process?

Envious Eric
04-19-2009, 11:34 PM
more cutting power with the PC with the smaller pads!

I use poliseal on my one step details...it fills some and removes some...its a really good product!

jDizzle
04-20-2009, 07:19 AM
i have a honda my self.. its a 2003, tan 2 stage... i have pretty good luck with meguiars #9, ive heard it does more filling than correction, but it still looks great.. i used my PC with lake county pads. white first, twice in some areas that needed more correction.. then used a grey finnishing pad,i doubt that the finnishing pad was nessicary, but oh well. i stayed on settings 3-4.. make sure you dont use too much pressure, and you clean your pads often, and if you use something with diminishing abrasives, make sure you work it till its clear and almost dry.

imported_kenny1775
04-20-2009, 07:44 AM
Not sure about Poli-Seal, but D151 works great on Honda paint.

I`ve never needed anything more than a medium cut/polishing pad for Honda clear. To be safe, you should try 3 passes with the lightest pad, then 3 with a stronger pad first before you buy a stronger polish.

Nine times out of ten (especially with 151) a pad with slightly more cut is all you need to fix the problem.

Good luck :)

RaskyR1
04-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Menzura Nano polish on a 5.5" White LC pad should work well for the light spider webbing. Follow it up with FP on a blue LC pad for extra gloss.

Envious Eric
04-20-2009, 10:05 AM
Not sure about Poli-Seal, but D151 works great on Honda paint.

I`ve never needed anything more than a medium cut/polishing pad for Honda clear. To be safe, you should try 3 passes with the lightest pad, then 3 with a stronger pad first before you buy a stronger polish.

Nine times out of ten (especially with 151) a pad with slightly more cut is all you need to fix the problem.

Good luck :)

That to me doesnt make sense...why make 3 passes over the whole car with too mild of a polish? get a polish that is more aggressive and remove the defects in one pass, then follow it up with a mild polish to improve the depth and clarity.

A "swirl mark", "holograms", "etching" and "scratch" is as deep as it is deep - meaning it doesnt matter how light/heavy of a polish you use you still need to get to the bottom of it in order to remove it. So while you can hit the panel with menzerna FPII 10 times and still not remove the defect, menzerna SIP will remove it in one or two passes.

M80 with lots of pressure can remove lots of defects, just like M83 with less pressure, but you are still removing the same amount of clear/paint once you get to the bottom of the defect!

cpolly
04-20-2009, 07:57 PM
- added a pic to my first post above

Thank you for all the feedback, and at this point I`m thinking i`ll go with the M83 w/ white or orange pads depending on severity to clean/correct/polish, then move to OPS to bring depth/clarity & protect(not sure which pad though??), and then LSP on black/blue pad

Would this 3 step process work effectively?

cpolly
04-21-2009, 07:18 PM
any further opinions?