PDA

View Full Version : Should I get the G110 or PC 7424?

simplybao
04-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Well, I`m going to take the plunge and buy a PC or G110. All I want it for is the small 4" spot buffs and smaller areas where my Cyclo won`t go. And besides, I`ve been dying to try one and who can ever have enough toys?

I`ve been getting better with the Cyclo and all I really want this for is those small areas I can`t get to very easily with the Cyclo. So any help here would be great.

Which should I get? The PC 7424 or the G110? They are both about the same price and I`m leaning towards the G110 because it comes with a nice case :-). Can the G110 accept the 3.5" backing plates that you can attach to the PC? is the backing plate that comes with the G110 any good (I know it`s 5.5" but what If I wanted to experiment? :-)

Also, I have a bunch of the Cyclo pads. Can I use those with the 3.5" backing plate? I have the new double sided pads for the Cyclo and so I don`t use the standard velcro backed pads anymore. I figured I might get some usage out of them.

I understand the Cyclo pads and their aggressiveness, what about for the G110 or the PC? I`m thinking of buying:

PC 7424 or G110

3.5" backing plate

CCS 4" Yellow, Orange, Green, Black, blue (I believe I`ve listed them most aggressive to least)

Accumulator
04-19-2009, 10:42 AM
somplybao- I don`t really know about the backing plates...but I sorta *think* the G110 will take the smaller ones (you`d sure better find out for sure though ;) ).

Plan on using the 4" pads a lot with either; I simply cannot do correction with larger pads (on the PC).

With the 4" pads, I find it *more* aggressive than the Cyclo, and by a surprisingly big margin (sure astounded me). You actually have to be a little careful with the PC/4" combo as it can do damage that`d never happen with a Cyclo.

Yeah, the 3.5" plate willl work fine. If you still have the old velcro backing plates for the Cyclo lying around, IIRC they fit the PC just fine. Again, not sure about the G110.

You can probably skip the yellow 4" pads for all but the most severe work (on hard paint). FWIW, I *really* like the little PFW pads on the PC, they`ll do correction that you`d never imagine the PC capable of. These are most often sold in 3.5" size so you need a backing plate a little smaller than the 3.5" one (IIRC the correct size is 2.75" and no, I can`t remember where I got mine).

Actually, depending what you have on-hand, you might be able to get by just fine with only whatever velcro-backed 4" pads you already have. The 4" Cyclo green can do some work on a PC (with the right product).

simplybao
04-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the reply! Well, I got lucky...I got a free PC :shocked I was home visiting my family and my brother had a brand spankin new one -- never been used. He just gave it to me.

It`s not a 7424 though. It is a PC 7336 so I`m going to assume it is essentially the same thing.

And I`m a bit confused. The counter weight says to use it for a 6" backing pad only. Should I remove the counter weight if I`m going to use a 3.5" backing pad?

BigAl3
04-19-2009, 08:44 PM
It is a PC 7336 so I`m going to assume it is essentially the same thing.

it is, slap on a backing plate and some pads and you are good to go...

Accumulator
04-20-2009, 10:29 AM
..The counter weight says to use it for a 6" backing pad only. Should I remove the counter weight if I`m going to use a 3.5" backing pad?

That "six only" caveat only applies when you`re using single sheets of sandpaper, in other words, don`t worry about it when detailing cars. I use the 6" counterweight for everything from 3.5" PFW pads to 6.5" foam and I actually prefer it over the 5" counterweight for all applications.

simplybao
04-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks! By the way, what is a PFW pad?

I just ordered some new pads and backing plates yesterday, I can`t wait to try this out.

jam
04-20-2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks! By the way, what is a PFW pad?

I just ordered some new pads and backing plates yesterday, I can`t wait to try this out.

PFW = Purple Foamed Wool

This is supposed to be even more aggressive than the orange LC pad, but easier to use than the yellow.

Bert
04-20-2009, 12:03 PM
PFW = Purple Foamed Wool

This is supposed to be even more aggressive than the orange LC pad, but easier to use than the yellow.

To add to what Jam said, it is made by Lake Country and for having so much cut, it finishes down very nice. Normally it is not recommended to use wool on a PC or G110 or UDM or the such but the 3.5 inch PFW on these machines seems to work pretty nice.

Charlie Matco
04-20-2009, 12:10 PM
simplybao, i like the power of the meguiar`s g110 compare to the pc. handsdown better in that regard. plus, I don`t think you can beat the $139 price at amazon.com with free shipping.

Amazon.com: Meguiar`s G110 Dual Action Polisher: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G110-Dual-Action-Polisher/dp/B001O7I7MQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1240251655&sr=8-1)

by the looks of it, the new pc 7424xl will be head to head with the g110 power wise, and it sure looks nice.

i can`t say the case for the g110 makes any difference. no space for pads and pita to remove the handle to be able to stow it anyway. i like my old canvas bag.

also, i have very good luck doing paint correction with sonus yellow spot pad and sonus sfx-1 polish