PDA

View Full Version : Badge Removal on Bimmer 745Li

Bullitt
04-18-2009, 09:49 PM
This afternoon a client delivered a 745Li to me( I love being able to make money when it rains all weekend) and he`s getting the paint corrected but also wants the badge(745Li) on the back taken off. I`ve corrected many cars, yet have never been asked to do this, suprised it`s taken this long. So what`s the process to do the job right. Keep in mind, I have a Tasco P&B supply right down the street from me, but there not open till Monday. Do I need some kind of adhesive remover or any special tools? Will I have to heat it up to get it off? Once I get it off and correct the paint where it was will the lettering outline still be there. Basically, whats the easiest way to safely remove this, I can probably figure out the rest.

Thanks guys

dmw2692004
04-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Here is what I do when customers ask me to do this:

Materials:

1)Dental Floss- Grab a few packs

2)Heat Gun

3)3M Adhesive Remover

4)Crappy towels

Process:

1)Clean off badge, and the area around it.

2)Pull 4-5inches of dental floss

3)Heat first emblem. If this is your first time doing it, I would suggest heating a bit, then trying with dental floss, if the floss does not cut through with light-moderate effort, heat for longer. Repeat for each emblem/letter. The Dental floss might break a few times, dont worry, its because of the heat and friction from the adhesive, just pull another 4-5inches.

4)You are going to be left with the outline of 745 LI with adhesive on the paint. Heat the adhesive, then try and peel/pull away from paint quickly with your fingers(Caution: Paint can get pretty hot, careful and dont burn yourself)

5)You should be left with very slight residue at this point. Spray 3M adhesive remover a little above the residue and allow it to run down onto the residue. Dont be scared to use a lot of adhesive remover, its paint safe. Use a crappy microfiber or cotton terry to wipe away residue. If the residue does not wipe away, re-spray with 3M Adhesive remover and allow to dwell, then try to wipe again.

enjoy and good luck! if you have any questions, just ask.

dave40co
04-19-2009, 12:48 AM
Here is what I do when customers ask me to do this:

Materials:

1)Dental Floss- Grab a few packs

2)Heat Gun

3)3M Adhesive Remover

4)Crappy towels

Process:

1)Clean off badge, and the area around it.

2)Pull 4-5inches of dental floss

3)Heat first emblem. If this is your first time doing it, I would suggest heating a bit, then trying with dental floss, if the floss does not cut through with light-moderate effort, heat for longer. Repeat for each emblem/letter. The Dental floss might break a few times, dont worry, its because of the heat and friction from the adhesive, just pull another 4-5inches.

4)You are going to be left with the outline of 745 LI with adhesive on the paint. Heat the adhesive, then try and peel/pull away from paint quickly with your fingers(Caution: Paint can get pretty hot, careful and dont burn yourself)

5)You should be left with very slight residue at this point. Spray 3M adhesive remover a little above the residue and allow it to run down onto the residue. Dont be scared to use a lot of adhesive remover, its paint safe. Use a crappy microfiber or cotton terry to wipe away residue. If the residue does not wipe away, re-spray with 3M Adhesive remover and allow to dwell, then try to wipe again.

enjoy and good luck! if you have any questions, just ask.

I do just about the same but use fishing line and WD-40. It is paint safe also.

zack.s
04-19-2009, 02:20 AM
i used fishing line and goo gone or bug and tar remover

Bullitt
04-19-2009, 05:23 AM
I appreciate the help. If I do this tomorrow i`ll probably get the 3M adhesive remover, I have Goo Gone and WD and they both work well for many things, so if I do it today i`ll go with that. I probably won`t finish the car today because I`m going to have to go with the PFW and 105, the car is swirled up bad, somebody left buffer trails all over it, and it has RIDS like you wouldn`t believe.

ohiostate
04-19-2009, 06:02 AM
Just debadged my altima, and just used my g/f`s hair dryer to warm up the glue behind the badge.. Then just used dental floss to remove the badge.. Then used a lot of elbow greese with soap and water to get off the glue... Some people put goof off on a rag, but I just did not feel comfotable doing that.. Then after everything was off, applied a wax after words.. All done

eddie926
04-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Just a thought, but have you researched whether or not the 745i emblem is pegged and taped as opposed to just taped?

Some manufacturer`s emblems have pegs that go into holes on the body. I have no idea if BMW pegs their emblems, but it would be a bummer to get the emblem off only to find you have to re-install because there are holes underneath.

imported_sal329
04-19-2009, 08:47 AM
Just a thought, but have you researched whether or not the 745i emblem is pegged and taped as opposed to just taped?

Some manufacturer`s emblems have pegs that go into holes on the body. I have no idea if BMW pegs their emblems, but it would be a bummer to get the emblem off only to find you have to re-install because there are holes underneath.

Its just glued on no pegs.

eddie926
04-19-2009, 09:20 AM
Its just glued on no pegs.

Cool. That makes it easy.

When I debadged my Toyota Camry, the "Toyota", "V6" and "XLE" badges were all just taped, but the Toyoyta sombrero symbol and the C A M R Y letters were all pegged. I would have liked to have completely debadged, but I didn`t want to mess with filling holes and then having to paint.

Suki22
04-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Thinking about debadging my 2007 Infiniti G35......after I debadge..I am concerned about "ghosting" of the letters. Any feedback..if this occurs how do I get rid of the ghosting.

Thanks......