PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Recommendations

MJCfromCT
04-18-2009, 06:24 AM
Hi All,

I`m looking to get some recommendations on how to get a "quality" detail done on a realistic budget. Here`s what I have:

Car: 2008 Honda Accord, Belize Blue Pearl. ~6K miles, garaged since October `08.

Products: Misc. microfiber towels, a wash mit, a few drying towels. I also have Meguiar`s cleaner wax paste.

What I was thinking was to start with a wash, then a clay kit, like the G1016 kit (will claying remove the current wax on the car, or do I need to wash it with dawn soap to do that?)

After claying, another wash, followed by some form of polish - any recommendations?

After polish, a coat of NXT 2.0 wax.

Any thoughts on a good polish to use? Is the wash-clay-wash-polish-wax procedure good? Can I save some money by skipping the polish and doing a wash-clay-wash-cleaner wax - NXT wax instead? Thanks in advance.

Accumulator
04-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Hi All,

I`m looking to get some recommendations on how to get a "quality" detail done on a realistic budget. Here`s what I have:

Car: 2008 Honda Accord, Belize Blue Pearl. ~6K miles, garaged since October `08...

I hear Hondas have soft paint, so my response will be tailored towards that. Also, I`m gonna stick with easily sourced OTC reommendations even though I prefer more "exotic" products in many cases.

Products: Misc. microfiber towels, a wash mit, a few drying towels. I also have Meguiar`s cleaner wax paste.

Hope those MFs are *VERY* soft. I`d get additional mitts and *I* wouldn`t be washing without a foamgun (too invloved a topic for me to get into here/now).

What I was thinking was to start with a wash, then a clay kit, like the G1016 kit (will claying remove the current wax on the car, or do I need to wash it with dawn soap to do that?)

Most of the existing wax will probably be gone after you clay and Dawn`s wax-stripping is overstated IMO.

After claying, another wash, followed by some form of polish - any recommendations?

Working by hand, these days I`d recommend one of the Meguiar`s OTC products like Swirl-X or Scratch-X v2.0.

After polish, a coat of NXT 2.0 wax.

OK, plenty of people like it. Keep it off black plastic trim and don`t be surprised if it needs redone after a few washes (no biggie as it`s easy to use).

Any thoughts on a good polish to use? Is the wash-clay-wash-polish-wax procedure good? Can I save some money by skipping the polish and doing a wash-clay-wash-cleaner wax - NXT wax instead? Thanks in advance.

I *do* think the cleanerwax/NXT combo is viable for many people, just depends on the car. IF it doesn`t look swirled up and/or if it`s a silver or white color then that combo might work OK. But I bet your car, with that color, could sure stand a nice polishing. If the paint has significant marring (i.e., swirls/scratches/etc. that you can clearly see) then you need the polish. And almost *every* vehicle in the work has marring ;)

Oh, and Welcome To Autopia!

MJCfromCT
04-18-2009, 10:39 AM
thanks for the reply. Which of scratch x and swirl x is considered the least abrasive? Depending on that I will try a wash-clay-wash-polish-wax routine.

akimel
04-18-2009, 10:51 AM
thanks for the reply. Which of scratch x and swirl x is considered the least abrasive? Depending on that I will try a wash-clay-wash-polish-wax routine.

SwirlX is less abrasive than ScratchX 2.0. SwirlX is the polish with which I would begin, if I were you.

Setec Astronomy
04-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Yes, although I have not used SwirlX, from what others have said, if you want to do that extra step, that product will be worth the $8 from Wal-Mart ;)

akimel
04-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Hi, MJC! From one newb to another, here is a process for you to consider. Given that I am best acquainted with Meguiar`s products, those are the ones I will mainly recommend. Substitute your preferred products.

Tools and Supplies:

Microfiber towels (the more the merrier; be sure to get good quality towels from the removal of polishes and waxes)

Microfiber wash mitt (good quality)

Waffle-weave microfiber drying towel

Tire/wheel brush

Clay bar kit

8+ foam applicators

Meguiar`s SwirlX

Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound (optional)

Meguiar`s NXT Wax or M26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax

Process:

1) Wash your car using the two bucket method:

How to Wash Your Car Show Car Style (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7598756069207401372)

Dry with your waffle-weave towel.

2) Inspect paint surface. Gently run your hand over the surface. Is it smooth as glass? Do you feel bumps and rough spots? If you do, you need to clay your car:

How to Claybar Your Car (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfEfLGL59GI&NR=1)

Typically, you will only need to clay your car twice a year.

3) Do a test spot. Apply SwirlX with foam applicator to a 12"x12" section. Massage it into the paint. You are working it into the paint in order to clean the paint and remove oxidization and previous layers of wax. Remove with clean microfiber towel. Pull it into the sun and assess the results (or use a Brinkmann xenon spotlight). Did it successfully remove the defects you were hoping to remove? If yes, then proceed to polish the rest of the car, one 12"x12" section at a time. If no, then try again with Ultimate Compound. Are the results better? You may find that you will need to follow-up UC with SwirlX in order to remove micro-marring left behind by the compound. Given the softness of Honda paint and the good condition of your car, I wouldn`t be surprised if you find SwirlX to be adequate to the task. You might want to restrict the use of Ultimate Compound to spot scratch removal, for which it is admirably suited.

Be sure to allot yourself plenty of time. Hand-polishing is hard work and takes longer than you anticipate.

4) Apply a thin coat of NXT or M26 with foam applicator. Allow to haze, and wipe off with clean microfiber towel. Apply a second coat, optimally waiting 8 to 12 hours between coats.

Other good economical waxes you may wish to consider: Collinite 845, Poorboy`s Natty`s Blue, Harly Wax, Mother`s Reflections, P21S, Clearkote Carnauba Moose Wax.

Keep it simple and keep it fun! :)

Cheers,

Al

MJCfromCT
04-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks so much for the warm welcome and all the tips. I have a lot of reading material and am making my shopping list. :)

imported_RZJZA80
04-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Thanks so much for the warm welcome and all the tips. I have a lot of reading material and am making my shopping list. :)

let me put it like this, I was a member of this forum for an entire year, before making any purchases or making a single post. I basically studied, read, reread, researched, and then did it all over again. Just browsing around and reading what the guys write will give you a wealth of information in and of itself.

Accumulator
04-18-2009, 05:38 PM
akimel- You posted a link to that car-washing video again!

[Everyone else ignore this post...inside joke of sorts :o ]

If I keep teasing you`re gonna challenge me to do one of my own, huh? :chuckle: :grinno:

akimel
04-18-2009, 06:23 PM
If I keep teasing you`re gonna challenge me to do one of my own, huh? :chuckle: :grinno:

Haha! Exactly! :)

But we newbs have to start somewhere and the two bucket method is a good place for us to begin, don`t you think?

And then after mastering this car washing technique for the masses, perhaps a select, elite few will graduate to Accumulator`s meticulous, painstaking, scrupulous, perfectionist aint-never-ever-ever-going-to-marr-your-car technique. But we have to crawl before we run. :bigups

Accumulator
04-19-2009, 10:18 AM
.. we newbs have to start somewhere and the two bucket method is a good place for us to begin, don`t you think?

I honestly have mixed feelings about that. But hey...I *do* use at least two buckets myself and I (begrudgingly) accept that not everyone is gonna use a foamgun (or a pressure washer, to give those their due).

I guess I see that video as a missed opportunity- *IMO* nobody oughta be moving a wash medium in those big sweeping motions, *NEVER*. Period. And it`s not all *that* big a PIA to fill the mitt with wash solution and hold the cuff shut while it seeps out, providing a little added lubrication and some flushing. Just little tweaks like those can make all the difference.

Eh...I oughta do a "tweaking the TBM" thread some time. I also oughta quit picking on Mike`s video as he`s contributed a lot more to the detailing community than I ever will.

[Back to your regularly scheduled program...]

akimel
04-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Okay, Accumulator, it`s time for you to do the Autopian Car Washing video! I`m serious. I know you have given this a great deal of thought over the years and have a lot to teach us all--and me most of all. Please consider doing a video for us. If you do, I`ll start linking to it in my own newb postings. How does that sound? :xyxthumbs