PDA

View Full Version : 04 G35 still scratched/swirl

TexasSVT
04-17-2009, 07:58 PM
I have a 2004 bright red G35. The other weekend I claybared, Poorboy`s SSR 2.5 with orange pad, Poorboy`s SSR 1.0 with white pad then used Clear Kote hand glaze with a blue pad and Clear Kote carnuba wax by hand. After all that I am kind of disapointed with the outcome. There are still a lot of scratches/swirls. I have run out of SSR 2.5 during the project. I am thinking about ordering some more 2.5 or Menzerna Intensive Polish PO 91E or Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO83Q. Which product do you think would be best for this paint and while we`re at it what products should I follow it up with. I will be using any of the products with a Porter Cable. I am still kind of new to this so any suggestions are welcomed.

zaxjax
04-17-2009, 08:01 PM
I would go with SIP and an orange pad. Don`t forget to read up on the Kevin Brown method to help you polish

imported_RZJZA80
04-17-2009, 09:25 PM
I would look into the Megs lineup and forget about the PB stuff, I`ve not heard of anyone using it anymore personally. 83/80, 85/80, 105/205, and any combination therein, will work really well for you especially with the Kevin brown method and your PC.

efnfast
04-18-2009, 01:34 AM
I had excellent results removing swirls from my g35 using both SIP/green pad and 83/green pad on a cyclo. Infiniti clear is verrrrrrrrry soft (atleast from my experiences) so you should be able to do it fairly easily.

cobrar97
04-18-2009, 07:00 AM
+1 on the Menerna setup. I started with the SIP and Nano Polish combo, and it worked great. I recently changed from the Nano Polish to 3M Ultrafina. The Ultrafina with give the same result as the Nano Polish, but it has a much, much longer working time and it doesn`t dust half as bad either.

I`m going to start experimenting with the M105 that seems to be pretty popular right now, but I know the SIP/Nano Polish or SIP/Ultrafina combos work GREAT!

Less
04-18-2009, 07:34 AM
My advice, is to draw the line at "good enough" and be done.

I`m in the process of detailing my own black G35 this weekend. I used M105/Orange Pad followed by M205/white pad, followed by Megs #7 by hand. When I put it under the halogens, I can still see lots of faint straight line scratches and marring.

The thing is, I KNOW that they weren`t there after I finished polishing. Somewhere along the way, with buffing, and IPA wipedowns, I must have introduced more scratches. But I`m using high quality Cobra towels that easily pass the CD test. I`m using light pressure, etc. Still, no matter what I do, I can`t avoid marring the paint.

I have had my paint perfect, just like others here. However, one QD wipedown or wash later, the paint is hammered again. Getting your paint perfect is easy, keeping it perfect for more than 22 seconds is next to impossible.

I`ve heard plenty of complaints and horror stories about Infinity paint. I can confirm every one of those from my own personal experience. Infinity clear coat is absolutely evil. Whoever created it committed a crime against mankind and should be hung from his eyelids.

cobrar97
04-18-2009, 07:38 AM
Nissan (since the same company as Infinity) is the same problem. That`s why my girlfriend`s Maxima is pearl white. Only to my "special" eyes are there any marks to be found...but to everyone else, it looks like a showroom finish every day.

Now if I had black Nissan/Infinity paint to deal with...I believe I`d go crazy. It`s the curse of what we do.

TexasSVT
04-18-2009, 08:17 PM
I am getting more SIP recommendations than anything else, but I am also hearing that Infiniti paint is soft. SIP is advertised as "Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO 83 was specifically created to tackle the harder scratch-resistant clear coats..." Is this too aggressive for the G35 or will I just not have to work it as long. I dont want to "remove" any more than is needed. Thanks for everyones input. And yes Less I will have to say enough is enough at some point, just not yet;)

Bullitt
04-18-2009, 09:07 PM
M105 followed by M205. Then jewel it with Utrafina lowering the RPM`s after you work the polish in good, it has a long working time. I always back down the RPM`s on my rotary to jewel, don`t know if it will work on a PC. Good Luck, that paint sounds like a pita.

TheTick
04-18-2009, 10:59 PM
I also use Menzerna SIP and 106fa on my serengeti sand g35. Took out my swirls incredibly easily and finished really nice with a pc and orange then white pad. Now that I just need to remove minor swirling a couple times a year, I switched to Menzerna powerfinish which works as a one step. Saves a ton of time.

cobrar97
04-19-2009, 04:59 AM
I was concerned about the fact that SIP specifically says for hard clears...which it does work for that too. But I can say that I`m used it on very soft Honda, Nissan, etc paints with no troubles at all. I use it on about everything.