PDA

View Full Version : removing emblems=ghost images

TexasSVT
04-17-2009, 06:59 PM
I have a brand new 2009 Ram 1500. I removed the RAM emblems on the door, used fishing line and goo-be-gone. Then washed, washed, dried, and used some meguiars wax, applied by hand.Truck looked great in the day light, no sctaches no residue. I was proud of work, then at night I went outside with a LED light, still no scratches or residue, but you can still see the RAM clear as day. So the next day I broke out the poorboy ssr1.0, white pad and a porter cable. that night same story ghost imaged still there. Like I said this is a brand new truck, I wouldn`t think the paint would have faded yet. Please give me some ideas on how to get rid of the ghost images before I just break down and put the RAM back on. Daylight = good : nighttime with LED = oh crap!

byers ford
04-17-2009, 07:13 PM
You wouldn`t think the emblem "ghost" would still be there on a new truck, but maybe that one side was in the sun alot( I dunno).

If you run your hand over the "RAM" can you feel any remaining residue?

Maybe a few more passes with the SSR1.0 or something more aggresive?

LouisanaJeeper
04-17-2009, 07:19 PM
you need to make a pass with something more agressive, like a cutting pad/polish then a finishing polish

zaxjax
04-17-2009, 07:57 PM
Polish the whole panel with a more aggressive pad and polish to even everything out

TexasSVT
04-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the quick advise. I am pretty low or completely out of SSR 2.5. If I have enough for the whole door I will give it a shot a weekend. And no you can not feel or see the RAM in the daylight

Accumulator
04-18-2009, 10:41 AM
I`ve had the ghosting happen when I`ve debadged straight-from-the-wrapper brand new cars. I suspect it`s a matter of the badges being applied immediately after the paint goes on (it`s not nearly as big a deal now-a-days as it was in the past though).

Sometimes I just live with the ghosting for a while and let the inevitable marring-removal polishing take care of it over time.

TexasSVT- Welcome to Autopia!

I`d consider that not too many people are gonna be inspecting your new truck at night with LED lighting...if it looks OK 90% of the time you might give some thought to my above comment about how you`ll be polishing it more aggressively sooner or later anyhow.