PDA

View Full Version : Got a PC! and a prep question...:)

tisteve
10-25-2005, 08:14 PM
I got a PC I got a PC :holiday: Man I`m excited. I`m ordering a pad kit and some SSR 2.5 and 1 from autogeek tomorrow, but I have a question: When the time comes to try out the PC, I need to remove the mother`s wax that I put on yesterday...and since I expect it to be next weekend when I try it out, will 1 washing with dawn ultra be enough?

Here`s my game plan...this will be the first full massage this vehicle has ever had:

NXT wash
ClayMagic blue
very quick NXT wash
SSR2.5 on PC w/orange pad
SSR1 on PC w/white pad
NXT tech liquid by PC w/ black pad, wait 24 hours then wash and NXT tech liquid by hand.

Which speed settings should I use for each PC application? I was thinking about 3 initially on the SSRs and then speed up to 5 once they have broken down. And for the wax I was thinking 1 or 2.

I`m going to maintain it with a QD every 3-4 days, wash and NXT booster once every two weeks. Because of a paving issue on the road next to us I`ll be using S&W every other day until January when the city`s supposed to fix the road. :bawling:

I`m gonna try out the PC sometime this week on a roomate`s car with the pad it came with and some leftover 3M scratch remover. :detective:

Thanks for looking,
Steve :)

GregCavi
10-25-2005, 08:43 PM
LEave the dawn in the kitchen. Its not needed. Looks like a good lineup you have there. With the claying and the polishing it will remove the wax. One thing I do is clay while I wash using the suds from the wash. Its saves me some time but make sure there is enough suds or use the lube. As for pc speeds I think 5 is about right with the ssrs. Multiple passes may be need remember. A tip for you is to use the 2.5 until your satisfied and then use the ssr1 and then pull it out in the sun. If you can see a haze then keep using ssr1. you want a nice clear sharp reflection.

Lastly I see your using a light cut pad and then a poishing pad. Steve reccomends using a polishing pad with the previous product if you have used a light cut pad. so in your case after you use 2.5 and the orange light cut use 2.5 and a white poishing pad.

Also make sure to name the type of pad (polishing, light cut, finishing) in addition to the color because not all manufacturers use the same colors.

Enjoy and post pics!!

Greg

tisteve
10-25-2005, 09:05 PM
Hey Greg,

I`ll trust you on the dawn...I was just worried about the wax loading up the clay. I do plan on claying during the wash in the future but my truck is a `91 and has never really been taken care of, so I want to be thorough on the first full detail.

Once I have used SSR2.5 on the light cut and polishing pads (LC manuf.) do I go ahead with the 1 on the polishing pad or should I use both pads with the 1 as well?

Thanks for the reply :) I would post pics but the best digicam I have is on my roomate`s HP Ipaq, and it uses a CMOS sensor :( I`m going to take some on film and (eventually) get the negatives digitized. I was looking at digis today and I`ve got my eye on a Nikon, though it`s definitely a couple or three months down the road. I love the Canon ELPH models but they`re a bit pricey for a college student :(

GregCavi
10-25-2005, 09:13 PM
I meant post pics when your done haha. HEre is your process layed out

Wash
Clay
Wash
SSR2.5 via light cut orange pad
SSR2.5 via white polishing pad (may be overkill.. wait for more feedback)
SSR1 via white polishing pad

you dont want to be using different polishes on teh same pad or mixing products on the pads until you wash the pad prior to a different product being on the pad.

Greg

tisteve
10-26-2005, 08:30 AM
Thanks Greg, you`ve been a great help :)

Steve

carazy
10-26-2005, 11:27 AM
SSR2.5 via light cut orange pad
SSR2.5 via white polishing pad (may be overkill.. wait for more feedback)
SSR1 via white polishing pad
I have gone from SSR2.5 via light cut pad to SSR1 via polish pad. Could be different for you depending on your cars finish after SSR2.5 via lc pad.

you dont want to be using different polishes on teh same pad or mixing products on the pads until you wash the pad prior to a different product being on the pad.
Just remember to have the pad dry before using SSR`s.

GregCavi
10-26-2005, 04:14 PM
Just remember to have the pad dry before using SSR`s.

Ya absolutly. You will make a huge mess with a wet pad and polishing. Make sure its dry. I like to air dry them and then I like to turn the pc on with me holding the bottom of the pad. The spinning and moving gets rid of the excess water and the hand holds the pad so it doesnt zing off and land on a dirty spot.

Greg

tisteve
11-01-2005, 08:04 PM
Ok I got the pads today :) and I have 2 more questions:

Is the blue pad finer than the gray pad (WG/LC pads) and
Do I need to use the little gray spacer that came w/ the PC?

TIA,
Steve