PDA

View Full Version : Removing water stains from Chrysler window separators

bkt1956
04-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Hi There,

I`ve had problems trying to get water stains off the black window separators (B pillars, window trim) on my Chrysler PT Cruiser, and my Dodge Intrepid. Is there a product that takes the stains off, and maybe protects the plastic that the separators seems to be made of?

BigJimZ28
04-16-2009, 06:30 PM
1) what did you try so far?

bkt1956
04-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Hi Jim,

I`ve tried nothing yet, I thought that I`d get an idea from the forum first. I will try Back to Black, or a color tinted cleaner wax.

Thanks for your reply,

Bren Turck

GoudyL
04-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Hi There,

I`ve had problems trying to get water stains off the black window separators (B pillars, window trim) on my Chrysler PT Cruiser, and my Dodge Intrepid. Is there a product that takes the stains off, and maybe protects the plastic that the separators seems to be made of?

I`ve found that stoner`s invisible glass works well for cleaning the windows/mirror part of the column on my PT Cruiser. Turtle wax Ice liquid seems to be well absorbed into the black rubber of the window trim, making it shiny and waterproof.

Since its clear and has no abrasives, you could try applying some to the mirrored part directly to leave a shine. I do that on the door handles/chrysler logo and it works well enough.

derek37
04-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Yeah, but will it remove the water spots is what he needs to know. I`d try some vinagar on a cotton cloth (more abrasive than MF) followed by a polish (depending an method of application) to remove the scratches from the first step. Durogloss makes a product to remove WS Duragloss #505, Duragloss WSR (Water Spot Remover) (http://www.duragloss.com/product.asp?pid=297). Never tried it but I have used the one made for glass and was rather pleased with the results.

Good luck.

derek37
04-20-2009, 07:54 PM
....and I have heard that the TW Ice stuff is pretty good on trim, and textered plastics as GoudyL mentioned. And welcome to you both to a great forum.:welcome

Chop
04-20-2009, 10:09 PM
If it`s shiny plastic you could try PlastX (Meguiar`s) and if it`s mate Back to Black (Mothers) shuold do it

GoudyL
04-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Yeah, but will it remove the water spots is what he needs to know. I`d try some vinagar on a cotton cloth (more abrasive than MF) followed by a polish (depending an method of application) to remove the scratches from the first step. Durogloss makes a product to remove WS Duragloss #505, Duragloss WSR (Water Spot Remover) (http://www.duragloss.com/product.asp?pid=297). Never tried it but I have used the one made for glass and was rather pleased with the results.

Good luck.

Depending on the model year (I think) the PT Cruiser has these mirrored panels at the front/rear edge of the side windows. These panels are very good at accumulating waterspots and fingerprints.

Glass cleaner should be fine for getting schmutz off those panels, and IMHO TW Ice liquid polish should be able to give those panels a nice finish that resists water. It also makes the black plastic/rubber trim look much newer without having that fake shine that Armor-all tends to give. Very interesting stuff.

I haven`t used Ice on those panels per se, but It does a good job on the door handles of my 2004 PT cruiser which are made of similar material (some kind of chromed plastic).