PDA

View Full Version : Silicon Spray For This???

kustomsol
04-16-2009, 05:29 PM
As a followup to a question which I previously raiised on this and a couple other forums, I aasked my service manager about the best way to treat the upper window gasket on my Lexus 2002 LS430 which becomes rough between routine cleanups. I`d been using Z-16 for this. He recommended that I clean it until it was smooth, thrn use a silicon spray lubricant (in my garage, that`s CRC). Anyone ever use it for that purpose and/or for other window or door, trunk, etc trim??? I`ve used it on cars as a window channel lubricant, but never as on a gaket. Will it also act as a protectant?? Comments, questions, snide remarks.

Setec Astronomy
04-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Wait...this isn`t the furry stuff? That has the flocking on it? It`s a smooth gasket? If it`s smooth, how about cleaning it and putting some gummpfledge on it? Although silicone spray may wind up about the same...somehow the gummipfledge bottle seems more fun...

Bostonsfavson
04-16-2009, 05:38 PM
If it`s a smooth gasket (similar to the weather stripping on the doors) many vehicle manufacturers recommend using a silicone grease (not a spray). I use Sil-Glyde on mine, which is available at CarQuest.

SuperBee364
04-16-2009, 05:58 PM
This is kind of a controversial product, but I love Black Wow on rubber seals. I clean them with ONR, then if they`re looking a bit dry, just a *small* dab of Black Wow.

BigJimZ28
04-16-2009, 07:21 PM
....... snide remarks.

ok, try a search there are several threads on this

imported_Jakerooni
04-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Another vote for the black wow. I`ve used alot of different types of products for this and black wow is by far my goto product. Although a bit pricey compared to other similar products i find it last quite a bit longer.

Setec Astronomy
04-16-2009, 07:27 PM
ok, try a search there are several threads on this

LOL...I just got one, too.

longdx
04-16-2009, 08:01 PM
This is commonplace to use a silicon spray help maintain the rubber`s elasticity in window channels. It will help keep the rubber pliable and yes I do this 2 times a year on all rubber gaskets (window,trunk)