PDA

View Full Version : Rust on my wheels, help!

DigitalN.
04-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Hey guys, I have a 2008 Volkswagen GTI, and on the rear wheels when you activate the park brake when it is cold/damp out it apparently likes to put some rust on the wheels when you take it off and use the brakes... unfortunately for me, this didn`t come off with P21S green (admittedly I let it sit as long as I should have) and also didn`t come off very well with a clay bar. Does anyone have any ideas for what I can try out and make work? It looks REALLY bad, and is very noticeable to me. Does anyone have any ideas on what might work? I really want this gone. I have some pictures below to show what it is.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2zxuqut.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/sy9tux.jpg

DigitalN.
04-18-2009, 09:15 AM
just wanted to bump this up... any help is appreciated!

Accumulator
04-18-2009, 09:17 AM
DigitalN.- Looks like a good application for an acidic product, either a sorta-potent wheel cleaner or the acidic part of a decontamination system. Be sure to neutralize it after it`s done its thing (don`t merely rinse it off).

Once you get `em cleaned up, I`d layer a sealant *heavily* so subsequent rust is in the sealant and not in the wheels` paint.

Bigpoppa3346
04-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Megs Wheel Brightener, there is an Envoy in my family with the same problem, every month or two I have to use Wheel Brightener to remove the awful rust stains.

Spray WB on the wheels (make sure the wheels are wet), let it dwell 30ish seconds, and agitate with a brush soaked in car wash solution (I have found doing this eliminates the need to go back over them a second time to neutralize the acid, killing two birds with one stone, in a sense). You may have to go over them more than once.

Accumulator
04-18-2009, 09:37 AM
..agitate with a brush soaked in car wash solution (I have found doing this eliminates the need to go back over them a second time to neutralize the acid, killing two birds with one stone, in a sense).

Note that some shampoos aren`t alkaline enough to neutralize the acid. I`d err on the side of caution and use an APC for this as most are pretty alkaline. I didn`t intend that as an :argue so I hope it didn`t come across that way.

Bigpoppa3346
04-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Note that some shampoos aren`t alkaline enough to neutralize the acid. I`d err on the side of caution and use an APC for this as most are pretty alkaline. I didn`t intend that as an :argue so I hope it didn`t come across that way.

It didn`t come across that way at all. :xyxthumbs

What APC would you recommend to neutralize the acid?

On a (sorta) side note, how would one know if the wheel acid has damaged the rims? A few years back I would use WB and not use *anything* to neutralize afterwards, and didn`t see any ill effects (not that I recommend doing that or would do it again). Would there be some type of etching, or would the wheel paint be somehow compromised in the long run?

XSNSX
05-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Any answer on this one? Kinda curious to see what some other people may use... After reading the back, I think purple power would work.. but that`s just my .02