PDA

View Full Version : Question About Repair & Clear Coat

Pages : [1] 2

DownFlyer
04-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Scenario:

About 5-6 months ago my car got scraped due to me being stupid, so I got a section repainted and some small dings / dents removed.

Today I noticed some clear coat flaking off that is "kind of" near the area where they repainted, so it may be overspray from a blend job. Might also be original clear coat, I`m not sure, I don`t recall seeing this area flaking off before.

Would the area where the clear coat is flaking be subject to blend / re-spray for this kind of repair? Is it overspray or original clear coat that`s flaking?

Photo:

http://i41.tinypic.com/157nink.jpg

DownFlyer
04-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Is this too technical even for Autopia?

David Fermani
04-16-2009, 06:18 AM
Your description isn`t the best. They either painted the panel or didn`t. If they painted it and it`s now flaking, take it back to the body shop and address the problem. Overspray doesn`t flake, so it`s more or less improper prep and/or refinishing on the shop`s part.

LeadingEdgeDetail
04-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Well technically it is all one panel, all the way down to the front fender... So if they did not want to blend they would have masked everything else off, then repainted that entire section..

Definitely inquire at the body shop!

David Fermani
04-16-2009, 01:33 PM
I noticed you added a picture, which makes alot more sense. If the clear is flaking above (on the upper, outer surround) that means they "burned" the clear and didn`t refinish the entire panel all the way up to the bottom of the windshield. Typical hack operation that crappy body shops pull all the time. Take it back and raise hell. Kinda also looks like they did a crappy job of blending paint within the front door too. Looks almost 2-tone (lighter in front and then darker 1/2 way back).

DownFlyer
04-16-2009, 03:05 PM
I noticed you added a picture, which makes alot more sense. If the clear is flaking above (on the upper, outer surround) that means they "burned" the clear and didn`t refinish the entire panel all the way up to the bottom of the windshield. Typical hack operation that crappy body shops pull all the time. Take it back and raise hell.

Thanks, the picture was there all along, but the image host may be flaky.

So you`re saying they were polishing it after the blend job, and then they messed up and burned the paint during that process?

When I initially took the car in, I asked if they would be refinishing up that whole panel all the way up to the top of the windshield, and they said no, it would be a blend job, and I did not know that would be a problem. I am surprised, I went to what is reputedly one of the best shops in the area (http://www.427autocollision.com/) and I have my paperwork for the lifetime warranty. (They actually were very clear in telling me to come back if any problem develops because they want to protect their reputation.)

Kinda also looks like they did a crappy job of blending paint within the front door too. Looks almost 2-tone (lighter in front and then darker 1/2 way back).

OK I think that is just due to dust. I park in a dusty garage and I think some of the dust rubbed off on my clothes, some did not, so it looks like that.

David Fermani
04-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Nope, not from buffing. "Burning" is a term used in the body shop industry to melt the clearcoat inside/within of a body panel instead of carrying it all the way to each edge. What happens over time is this burned in joint fails and ends lifting/peeling/cracking.

Was this an insurance repair? If so, both the body shop and the insurance company owes you a proper repair. If you were paying out of pocket, you received what you paid for. No good shop will paint cars this way.

Barry Theal
04-16-2009, 04:52 PM
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr202/barrytheal/157nink-1.gif

ok here is whats going on here. i seen this alot! ok at the top is a bad clearcoat blend! what happened here is the paint is flaking because of a bad blend! this can be usally sanded down and buffed out. i have done it so many time. now the problem is it will come back. why they do this is simple it keeps them from spraying all the way down to where it meets the front fender. less clear =`s less money. timesaved money saved. now as david mentioned the color looks off a little and it is. this is because most likly they only sprayed color around the repaired area and not the panel.they do this to keep the color matching and again less paint. its more noticable here because of the metalllics! at this point they sanded down the area threw down some clear and lost it with a blend on your post above the b pillar! b pillar is the post between your window. now if you look at the bottom arrow most likely there is a tape line where the yellow line is at the arrow! . this is what you call a hack job my friend and you were the victom! take it back now. but most likely this job was painted a while ago. am i right? when you go back tell them you do NOT want any blends. as they always reappear!

DownFlyer
04-16-2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks guys, I paid out of pocket but I have a written warranty so I will have to take it back.

The work was done about 5 months ago and I did not notice it until recently.

David Fermani
04-16-2009, 05:04 PM
If it`s showing up after 5 months, I can only imgine what went on in the paint prep dept.

DownFlyer
04-16-2009, 05:12 PM
If it`s showing up after 5 months, I can only imgine what went on in the paint prep dept.

What is that a lot of time or a short time?

Also, is there any situation in proper body shop painting work where something less than a whole panel is painted?

Barry Theal
04-16-2009, 05:56 PM

i agree with ya there david

David Fermani
04-16-2009, 06:07 PM
What is that a lot of time or a short time?

Also, is there any situation in proper body shop painting work where something less than a whole panel is painted?

Down here, I`d have to say it last a couple years. So it failing after 5 months and you being in a normal climate screams poor prep coupled with low end materials.

On exterior panels, NO. On inner panels like jambs and structure, it`s acceptable on most vehicles. Paint manufacturers will not warranty their paint unless it`s cut off at an approved break line. The middle of a panel isn`t approved in any way.

DownFlyer
04-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Wow, the warranty paperwork claims "We guarantee that the repairs to the described vehicle in connection with your claim meet the highest professional standards of the auto repair industry. If for any reason you are not fully satisfied with the workmanship, we will assure that the repair is corrected. This guarantee is in effect for as long as you own this vehicle."

They advertise sikkens paints.

I will have to challenge them on that. I believe they were very busy the week my car was repaired so they may have cut corners.

Migue
04-16-2009, 07:59 PM
it`s normal to blend the PAINT and acceptable as long as the painter has a really good eye and has the techique,but blending the clear? you don`t want that on your car,that`s your paint protection and you don`t want any weak spot(blend/burn lines) on your car.I work at a bodyshop and the painters like to blend the clear around the doorjambs/pillars and it`s so noticeable i don`t know how they get away with it they`re such hacks