PDA

View Full Version : Ever see puckering on windshield cowling?

Flycaster
04-14-2009, 01:05 PM
While cleaning my 2005 Z4 (a garage queen with 16K miles) yesterday in the the SoFL heat (not really hot yet, but about 82 degrees), I noticed that the plastic cowling that sits over the bottom of the windshield was buckling. That is, it was puckering up off the windshield at about 4-5 different spots; otherwise, it was flush with the windshield. However, that night, all was flush. Anyone notice this on their cars? Think it is a defect worth taking to the dealer (I`m still under warranty) or does it have something to do with the plastic and the windshield expanding/contracting at digfferent rates?

Barry Theal
04-14-2009, 06:34 PM
sounds like the winshield was replaced at one point. not properly sealed

Flycaster
04-15-2009, 05:59 AM
sounds like the winshield was replaced at one point. not properly sealed

Never replaced.

Setec Astronomy
04-15-2009, 06:53 AM
Yes, it sounds like a difference in the coefficient of expansion. By any chance did you back it out of a cool garage into the sun? In that case the black cowling, with its lower thermal mass, was probably absorbing a lot of sun energy and expanding, while the metal and glass parts were not (as fast). If it all went back to normal later, I think you`re good. Worth talking to the dealer about tho, just in case it`s a known problem and they changed some adhesive or fastener.

Flycaster
04-15-2009, 10:17 AM
Yes, it sounds like a difference in the coefficient of expansion. By any chance did you back it out of a cool garage into the sun? In that case the black cowling, with its lower thermal mass, was probably absorbing a lot of sun energy and expanding, while the metal and glass parts were not (as fast). If it all went back to normal later, I think you`re good. Worth talking to the dealer about tho, just in case it`s a known problem and they changed some adhesive or fastener.

Yep, from garage into sun. Cowling is now tight fittting. I don`t believe that they use any adhesives between the cowling and the windshield; probably a pressure fit secured at the base. I will call my SA at BMW to see what she has to say.