PDA

View Full Version : Claying w/o marring/scratching

efnfast
04-13-2009, 11:50 PM
Is it possible to clay an entire car without making any scratches/marring/marks in the clearcoat?

Doesn`t seem to matter my lube, technique, etc...., if I claybar I`ve got to polish it afterwards. :nixweiss

Mark77
04-14-2009, 12:01 AM
What clay are you using?

efnfast
04-14-2009, 12:16 AM
Meguiars. Same story on soft clears (G35) as well as hard (corvette)

imported_RZJZA80
04-14-2009, 12:42 AM
you have to kneed the clay bar after each panel, I think that`s the key. Also, use plenty of lube, more is better

Thats Fresh
04-14-2009, 08:02 AM
youd just give yourself more work by inducing more scratches. also the clay wouldnt properly work without lube.

imported_Jakerooni
04-14-2009, 08:17 AM
youd just give yourself more work by inducing more scratches. also the clay wouldnt properly work without lube.

Ummm???? :think: This statement makes no sense to the questions being asked. I don`t get it.

And yea kneed the clay after each panel if you feel the grit when you kneed replace the clay. And the lube is your freind.. I usually go overboard with it.

stiffdogg06
04-14-2009, 08:24 AM
I like Meg`s Last touch as a lube since it`s like $17 for a gallon and can be diluted down...I also use it as a drying aid.

I mainly use Clay Magic Blue clay or Clearkote Clay. Both have done me good.

So to answer your question yes, it`s very possible to clay an entire without marring it. Use a gentle clay, let the clay and lube do the work - no need to press down hard... Also like mentioned before, kneed the clay often.

D.NGUYEN
04-14-2009, 08:49 AM
you have to kneed the clay bar after each panel, I think that`s the key. Also, use plenty of lube, more is better

That`s what she said?

Accumulator
04-14-2009, 09:43 AM
I`ve clayed without marring countless times, using both Griot`s clay and the Sonus green Ultra-fine.

Note that you might need to knead/replace the clay a *LOT* more often than every panel. Once it picks up something abrasive it basically turns into sandpaper. I`ll sometimes knead the clay after *one* brief contact with the paint, as in...I clay off a speck of contamination and immediately fold the clay; I might fold/knead it dozens of times before I finish a single panel. It`s a different situation compared to claying a vehicle that you`re already planning to polish.

02zx9r
04-14-2009, 11:15 AM
i have only used clay (megs smooth kit, but I do have a mothers bar and a TW bar that I have not used yet) a few times and have not marrd anything. I used straight clay lube in the little bottle until it was half gone and now use it 50:50 with water. I do tend to use quite a bit of spray too to avoid potential marring.

Like others said, you dont have to try and push the clay through the panel, just let it glide over it.

efnfast
04-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Next time I`ll try kneeding it more (I do it once per panel). I`m not applying any pressure.

Accumulator
04-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Next time I`ll try kneeding it more (I do it once per panel)..

Good plan. For starters, you might try kneading it as soon as it appears soiled (yeah, that`s probably overkill...).